8 Reasons You Should Watch Steven Universe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Everyone has a favorite series that they can’t shut up about. I am here to recommend one that is totally worth the watch. It’s going to make you brag about it to your fellow squad members.

Steven Universe is a series that revolves around a kid called Steven Universe (yes, Universe is his last name). He is half human and half gem. Gems are an extraterrestrial species of “magical” beings (For more info on the gems click here). He goes on adventures with his magical family. Now, I’m not gonna spoil anything else. Let me give you a little taste of what you’re missing out on:

1. The show was created by a woman.

This is the first show in the history of Cartoon Network that has been created by a woman. Emmy-nominated writer Rebecca Sugar first worked as a storyboard revisionist for Adventure Time but left to make Steven Universe in 2013. She poured her heart into it and got inspired by her little brother, Steven Sugar.

How cool is that?!

Plus, she sings, plays the ukulele, and apart from creating and being one of the show, she does the music too!

2. The songs are magical

Every song in this show has a story behind it. Whether happy or sad, it’ll be “an emotional ride.” You’ll cling on to every song because they are all amazing in every aspect. The characters use singing and music to connect to their feelings. The songs can sometimes be relatable, even if the song is about your glorious mother who gave her life for you and was a well-respected gem. Yep, so relatable. Also, Garnet’s voice actress is the famous American Boy singer Estelle so… it’s lit.

3. The Gems

There are a lot of different gems and every one of them has a different power. They can come together and make up a fusion. That’s when two or more gems fuse together and form a new gem with new powers. It ends up being a totally different gem with its own personality. Plus, the fights between the fused gems are badass.

“Fusions are parallel to relationships and they are used in the show to explain toxic and healthy relationships.”

– Diego (a friend of mine)

And one of the fusions is voiced by Natasha Lyonne, the actress from OITNB. So yeah, stick around.

4. Diversity in Beach City

Steven Universe is located in a place called Beach City. It is populated by a rich cast of characters who are as varied in appearance as they are in personality. No one in the city is left-out. Everyone is accepted regardless of gender identity, body type, physical appearance, and race. Even the gems who don’t have a particular physical form they just transform into a physical body and don’t adhere to society’s beauty standards.

5. Relationships

Though the gems don’t really have a gender, they are mostly portrayed as “women”. One of the cutest relationships is Ruby and Sapphire’s. They’re literally the perfect combination of hot and cold. They may be two minor characters, but their relationship is touching, and the backstory alone will make you cry (of joy and cuteness). Plus, their love has actually been confirmed here, so no one can say they’re just close friends or whatever. For more romantic entertainment, there’s also Pearl’s lost love for Rose and Steven’s parents Rose and Greg.

6. The Feels Are Real

One of the most intriguing things about Steven Universe is that the emotions are raw. They all express their emotions and are not ashamed of it. There is no shame. The series also talks about abuse, family problems like the ones shared by Steven’s parents, and personal problems in each character. It is true that it’s a mostly “happy” show but when it gets serious, IT GETS SERIOUS. If you feel a moment like that coming, get your tissues because you’re going to need them. Every problem is important no matter how small or big.

7. Lion

Lion is a really big, pink lion that protects Steven, for reasons I will not spoil and is a gigantic sweetheart. When protecting Steven, Lion get furious and I mean furious but it’s the perfect companion for the many adventures Steven encounters with the Crystal Gems.

8. The Art

The creativity that is poured into the show is mind-blowing. From the Temple Room to the way each character is animated, the art is breathtaking. When you see the show you’ll feel as if you’re in a dreamland. It’s just so mesmerizing and the characters are so bizarre, but that’s the point. That said, Steven Universe is animated in 2 different overseas studios:  Rough Draft Korea and SunMin Image Pictures (Cartoon Network’s other go-to overseas studio is Saerom). Fans all over the world have made drawings and pieces of art that can be found on Deviantart or Tumblr.

Overall, Steven Universe is a fun-loving, relatable show that will make you love it and at the same time make you cry. Just watch it!

Image Credit :1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

People call me Kat, I'm not sure why. I'm currently a freshman potato that loves Netflix series, rock music etcetera. My hair is basically a tamed Chewbacca on my head. I love reading books, making memes, just messing around with photoshop, and welp... life.