This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

No worries, we’ve all been there. It feels completely and utterly unfair, depressing, lonely and painful. Hopefully, you didn’t buy an early Valentine’s gift, and if you did, don’t stress out about it! Recycle it, give it to a good friend or, depending on what it is, just keep it. Whichever the circumstances, spending Valentine’s Day alone can suck, but it doesn’t have to be this way–even if you’ve just been dumped. Because of this, we came up with some tips on how to survive it. Stay hopeful. Here we go!

1. Distract yourself

If the relationship ended a little before Valentine’s Day, try finding new (or old!) hobbies and fun activities to keep you occupied. Try writing, exercising, outdoor activities or plan a road trip with friends! Get on a plane and visit that place you’ve always wanted to. If you don’t have enough money to travel, maybe explore local and hidden places near you! There are always cheap options, especially for students.

2.  Friends

Valentine’s Day is not all about a partner. Celebrate love in every form! That includes friendships! Surround yourself with the people you trust and that support you no matter what.

3. Family

If you distance yourself from family in order to spend more time with your significant other, maybe now is the time to reconnect. Go visit your parents. Call your grandma and give her some love! Remember the “single” life you had before and all the people surrounding it. Reconnecting with your roots can help while you have fun with loved ones.

4. Work!

Work is a good distraction and an excellent way to remember that you’re independent and capable. It will keep you busy and your thoughts away from the breakup. It can be extra fun if you work in an entertaining environment or if your colleagues are a good group in general. The key is to focus your energy on something productive!

5. Do Not Look For Someone Else   

It’s normal to think that getting a new partner might help you forget and, by default, fix all of your problems, but it’s just not the case. It never works. Un clavo saca a otro clavo doesn’t work, so make sure to stay by yourself and take the necessary time to heal. Avoid Valentine’s dates at all costs! Celebrate Valentine’s with friends and enjoy your free time.

Remember that it is just one day! Take your time and be happy. Enjoy your surroundings, and start doing things you never had the time to do! Love is with us every day, so be patient, your true significant other will be there when you’re ready, and if being in a committed relationship is not for you, that’s alright too!.

Ariana studies English Literature at UPR-RP. She loves the concept of rainy days: books, blankets, hot cocoa, and sleeping. In addition, she also likes nature, art, photography, and culture. She’s a very simple person that likes to live in the moment and to be free.  She hopes to one day become a successful writer and a world class traveler.