sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s April 2018 and Earth Day is just around the corner! It’s time to reflect on our impact in nature and evaluate how well we’ve managed to stay eco-friendly this past year. If not, then this is the time to stop planning and to start doing. Earth Day is a great opportunity to start taking matters into your own hands by making healthier and sustainable choices to preserve our resources. This also includes being conscious of animal life and the environmental issues to which we contribute every day. In order to make this task easier, here are 5 ways to celebrate Earth Day and kick-start your eco-friendly lifestyle. Be sure to take your friends along to be part of the change while having fun!

1. Volunteer

Earth Week is a great host for volunteer work! Help clean the nearest beach or park. Take a group of friends and go pick up trash around your neighborhood. Anything you can do will make a change, and the sense of accomplishment later will be priceless.

2. Plant a tree

If it feels like this is the only action that you can do to celebrate Earth Day, that is not necessarily a bad thing! Imagine how great it would be if every person on this planet planted a tree! It does not even have to be a tree, a plant is welcomed as well. You can work in your garden, and if you don’t have one, then you finally have a reason to start one.

3. Attend a local event

If your hometown is having community events, make sure to get on board! If you can, be a part of the planning committee. Organize educational talks on how to recycle and compost. Teach kids how to preserve our resources! Learning about renewable energy is also important and can be interesting, too!

4. Enjoy nature

This Earth Day enjoy nature in a special way, go hiking or to the beach! Go to a river and take in your surroundings. Take time to breathe in the fresh air and relax. Be mindful of the ecosystem around you and reflect on how important it is to preserve it.

5. Support an environmental organization

If you have the extra money, try donating to an environmental organization, such as the Rainforest Alliance, Greenpeace, Ocean Conservancy, etc. Do your own research and discover which organization is most important to you! Help your local organizations as well, be a part of the movement in your hometown.

Remember that this is not just about Earth Day! Start making changes in your lifestyle so you can be part of the change. Recycling is an easy way to help the environment as well as limiting your trash output. If you can, try walking, bicycling or carpooling to your work or studying place! You can also join the bandwagon and stop using straws. Every little change helps. It is up to us to take care of our resources and our wildlife in order to coexist gracefully and successfully!

Ariana studies English Literature at UPR-RP. She loves the concept of rainy days: books, blankets, hot cocoa, and sleeping. In addition, she also likes nature, art, photography, and culture. She’s a very simple person that likes to live in the moment and to be free.  She hopes to one day become a successful writer and a world class traveler.