This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Studying at the renowned University of Puerto Rico has been a great adventure. I came from the west part of the Island with no roommates, no family nearby and, to top it off, not metro are driving skills. La IUPI was a whole new world that I needed to discover and there was no magic carpet included. I’ve had my ups and downs, there’ve been tears of joy and some not so joyful, but it’s all been worthwhile. I impart on you my best knowledge for surviving while being in Gallito and Jerezana territory.

Be ready to be late.

It doesn’t matter if you’re an expert or if you happen to be a small-town girl like me, the metro area is full of unexpected events that may make you late for your classes. Be ready for anything… Or just wake up and arrive earlier. These events include: being stuck in traffic, missing your train, extreme scavenger hunt for a parking space, monsoon-like raining, etc.

Whether you knew it or not, you agreed to sweat like there’s no tomorrow.

The heat in Río Piedras is not to be messed with. Try to wear clothes that don’t make you uncomfortable or that make you sweat. Pancakes, back sweat marks, and pit odor WILL happen.

Find an area with good WiFi.

Even though there’s mass WiFi all around the campus, you need to find a nice spot so that the signal is stable and won’t make you hassle with your online test… Or that episode you didn’t finish last night on Netflix. Libraries usually make the best areas, so go and mark your territory! And avoid El Centro. The WiFi there is trash.

Establish a relationship with the university trolley.

Trust me on this: you’ll need that ride when you’re 15 minutes late to class, and your building is on the other side of the campus. Plus, it’s a free ride where you get to chat with people. Never listen to those who say it’s ridiculous to get in the trolley, they’re missing out!

Find the best food places and discover shortcuts.

Take a day to walk around campus. You’ll discover the many places there are to eat and you’ll figure out the best shortcuts. One of the ways you can get to Lazaro quickly if you’re in the Music building is by cutting straight through Humanidades. Finding more of these little tricks when you’re late to class and the trolley is nowhere in sight. Plus, knowing where the best food spots are means that you’ll never go hungry. Study the rush hours of the food shops so you know when to avoid them. Read UPR Guide: Places to Eat on Campus and pick your spot. The best thing you can do is know your campus!

Have fun. Get to know your campus and eat plenty. La IUPI is the place to be.

Yuliana is currently majoring in Hispanics Studies, with a specialty in literature from Latin America and Puerto Rico, aspiring to be a Literature Professor. She loves traveling, adores reading poetry and novels, and wishes to write and amazing best-seller someday.