Cameron Smith-Girls Friends Hair Food Abroad Spain Scarf Mirror Restaurant
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

What Every Girl Needs to Hear Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

College is said to be the best years of our lives, but that doesn’t mean that every day is necessarily the best day of our lives. Over the next few years, we will learn and grow more than we can even begin to comprehend right now. Regardless of where you are in life right now, here are 10 things that every girl needs to hear about themselves right now.

1. Your needs have to take priority over your wants.

Your mental health is so, so important. If you feel as though you are in a bad place, you might need to do a little bit of rearranging. I know that it is scary to even think about giving up things that you feel as though are a vital part of your life, but being the best you possible is the ultimate goal. If something isn’t helping build you up, cut it out of your life. You’ll thank yourself later.

2. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you are not capable.

People are going to try to belittle you in order to maintain their own self-worth. Even if they don’t believe in you, you always have someone that does, and that person is yourself. Never doubt yourself, and always strive to do the best job you can. The best form of revenge is proving them wrong.

3. Don’t settle. Know your worth.

That person may seem worth the fight, but if they are constantly letting you down and stringing you along, you have to put yourself first. Someday, someone is going to see you for everything that you are, and love and accept you for the things you don’t love about yourself. They’re worth the wait. Don’t settle for someone that only wants you when it’s convenient for them.

4. The amount of likes you get doesn’t define you.

Just because your selfie didn’t get as many likes or comments as your friend, doesn’t mean you aren’t just as beautiful as her. The person may not even know half the people liking their picture. Focus on the people in your everyday life, the people that love you. But, at the end of the day, the only person that’s opinion matters is your own.

5. Your GPA doesn’t define you.

Even though grades are important in college, that doesn’t mean that it is the most important thing in the world. If you are doing the best you possibly can, it doesn’t matter that you don’t have a perfect 4.0. Your GPA does not define how smart you are.

6. You are never alone.

I know that there are times when you feel like no one knows what you are going through. We’ve all been there. I promise you that someone, somewhere, feels exactly the same way. And even if you don’t know someone going through exactly what you are going through, there are always people that care about you that don’t want to you to go through it alone.

7. Speak your mind.

You should never feel like you have to hold your tongue because of what someone else says. Growing up, I was told that I shouldn’t get an opinion in some things because I was a girl. That’s ridiculous. Say what mean, and mean what you say. The right people will respect you for having an opinion.

8. It’s okay to remove toxic people from your life.

Personally, it’s hard for me to follow my own advice on this one, which is why it must be said. There are always going to be people that are not good for us. People that convince us to make bad decisions, people that make us stray away from who we are. If someone isn’t 100% comfortable with you, the REAL you, then they don’t deserve you.

9. You’re going to have your heart broken.

And that’s okay. It is going to suck. It is going to hurt. But you’ll get over them. Heartbreak shapes our hearts and allows us to realize what we want and need out of a situation. Yeah, the process is painful, but in the long run,so worth it.

10. You have to choose what makes you happy.

You’re in charge of your own happiness. I know this might be a scary thought, but you can’t rely on other people to keep you happy. At the end of the day, you always have yourself. If you can’t make yourself happy, how can anyone else? Be yourself, respect yourself, love yourself.

Scotlyn is a UNT alum, Class of 2020. She graduated with a degree in Digital and Print Journalism and a minor in English. During her time with Her Campus, she served as the Chapter President for two years, and also held positions as Chapter Advisor, Writer, and Chapter Expansion Assistant through Her Campus Media. And yes, her name is like the country, but spelled differently.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.