This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Young and old, fictional and real, here is a list of 4 bad ass women who have broken glass ceilings, stuck it to the man and shown us that we can do the same! #FemaleEmpowerment

Frida Kahlo, Mexican artist, and political activist, really showed an insight into the challenges women face not only internally, but socially and politically through her self-portraits. In a fatal bus accident that nearly killed her, Kahlo instead, sustained life altering injuries. In addition to fracturing both legs, and her collarbone, an iron handrail impaled her pelvis, fracturing many ribs and displacing 3 vertebrae. This not only ended her dreams of becoming a doctor but left her with ever-lasting effects from her injuries.

During her bedrest, Kahlo began experimenting with self-portraits. What she produced over time have become world renowned and easily recognizable paintings. They tell stories of personal anguish, economic and political inequalities, effects of sexism and racism and the pressures women feel in all too patriarchal world.

In addition to being a staunch feminist and Mexican patriot, Kahlo was also an active Communist, demonstrating for the betterment of worker’s rights,  and ending inequalities in not only Mexican politics but the international community. Although deathly ill, Frida made one last public appearance with her husband just 2 weeks before she died, standing in a demonstration against CIA involvement in Guatemala.

Elle Woods, our only fictional role model. Born and raised in Bel Air, Woods attend the fictional CULA majoring in fashion merchandising. When her long-term boyfriend (and scum bag) breaks up with her to attend law school, she does the only rational thing and follows him. In order to get in, she skips her Senior year Greek Week to study for the LSATs. Woods perseveres and ends up scoring a 179. A 179!!! The perfect score is an 180, once again proving she’s more than a ditsy blonde. She rises above what a young woman in her position is expected to do with her life.

We’ve all seen the movies- and if you haven’t, you’re missing out. She gets into Harvard, lands an internship her freshman year, blows everyone away with her talent and sheer determination and ends up with a REAL man!

In the few hours we shared of her life, she showed us what it meant to rise above the stereotypes society places on us and succeed. All the while, she maintains her dignity, grace and the values of her fictional sorority Delta Nu. Which was totally modeled after Delta Gamma, if you didn’t know.

Mae Jemison is an engineer, physician and NASA astronaut. Growing up in the Southside of Chicago, Jemison was always curious about space. After graduating from Stanford University, she became a medical doctor and worked in Liberia and Sierra Leone as the Peace Corps medical officer. She became the first African-American woman to travel in space when she went into orbit aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour in 1992. Not only is she a freaking academic genius, world changer, but she broke MANY glass ceilings.

In an interview with NPR, when asked about how it felt to be the first African-American woman in space, Jemison said, I always think of it as like, “What do you do with your place at the table?” If you act just like everyone else, what difference does it make that you’re there?

Jemison, who has been retied since ’93, actively encourages the youth minority communities to not only join STEM fields but empower themselves through lectures she gives. This past week she was at the University of North Texas. A lasting motto she shared with the students was the singular word, “purpose.”

Amal Kassir, a 20-year-old Syrian-American spoken word artist, is the very definition of a bad ass. Born to an Arab father and American mother, Kassir has experienced a very interesting life, to say the least. Born in Colorado, she has spent time living in Syria.

In an interview with PBS, she says her time in Syria helped her understand the suffering of the people there, while the freedoms she has living in the U.S. has allowed her to become an activist on their behalf.

Amal, who attends class during the weekdays and performs on the weekends, has performed in 8 countries and over 30 cities, in refugee camps and youth detention centers, and high school classrooms. She’s even given a TED Talk! This week she will be performing at our university! She hosts workshops with people of various backgrounds to spread awareness and inclusivity. Her vision is to empower marginalized youth by utilizing her writing as a tool of self-determination. If that wasn’t enough, Kassir also runs a project called “More than Metaphors,” that focuses on the education initiative for displaced Syrian children. This young woman not only represents the challenges our generation faces, but those that Muslim women face. She will DEFINITELY be someone to continue to look out for! Follow her on twitter @AmalthePoet

There are many women who continue to shape our world and offer a shining light to us through their determination, wisdom and pioneering. I know you have the potential to be on this list, and I encourage you to find the strength inside of yourself like Frida, show them they’re wrong about you like Elle, break glass ceilings like Mae and balance your schoolwork and outside endeavors like Amal. YOU CAN DO THIS GIRLFRIEND!

Kait is a second-year Journalism student in the Mayborn School of Journalism at the University of North Texas. Her passions include taking spontaneous road trips, binge watching and reading the news, joining protests and petting kitty cats. She aspires to first survive her undergraduate years before taking on the world. Then possibly attend law school, join the Peace Corps and help secure rights for women in refugee camps.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.