Seema Lalani: Activist, Feminist, Adventuror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Seema Lalani is a powerhouse, both on and off campus. I am proud to call myself her colleague in Her Campus UNT. Her use of social media to express her opinions constantly shakes fellow UNT students to their core. This week I sat down with this outgoing, unafraid woman to get a closer look at her motives and goals. What is your major and your minor? My major is broadcast journalism with a minor in sociology. What’s your biggest accomplishment? I was recently promoted to national collegiate chairperson for Next Generation Action Network, an activisim organization started in Dallas. It’s been recognized throughout the country, and I’m so honored to be apart of that. You address a lot of controversial topics in your social media posts. What’s your main goal through addressing these issues? I want to give people a voice. I want to give those who have stories and who have experienced things but have no one to tell those things to- a voice. I want to change the news world and give real, uncut, and raw information to the public. I want for people to trust the media again and help us when we share stories. My main goal is to spark conversation and come up with solutions so that people understand why I, and my fellow peers, speak up and protest. Where do you see yourself in five years? I want to become a news anchor and have my own segment like Anderson Cooper. I hope to see myself as a successful journalist and activitist doing philanthropy work through the Peace corps and through sharing stories through my own show. What would your last meal be? My last meal? Easy. Pasta or pizza with sweet tea. 

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.