LG: UNT Transgender Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Coming out of the closet can be a scary and life changing experience. There are so many possible outcomes and reactions you can receive from family, friends, and society. Individuals who do not identify as heterosexual can have a hard time revealing their true sexual orientation. However, in recent years, more and more people have been revealing their true selves. Our world, while it remains unperfect, has progressed in many ways and those who hide in the closet are more encouraged to come out. A drawing and painting major at UNT, LG (whose initials are being used to protect his identity) identifies as transgender. He believes that people have the right to their own lives and choices and has answered many questions about his sexual identity to help others who feel unsure or confused about themselves.

When did you first come out?

“I came out in my sophomore year of high school.”

Was it easy to discover your sexuality and sexual orientation?

“Kind of, not really, my parents are really republican so I was taught that that was a bad thing. I ignored those feelings for a long time.”

Did you tell your family immediately? How did they react? What about your friends or siblings?

“I did not tell my family immediately, in fact, I did not get a chance to come out to them, they just found out and that did not go well. My friends, I told right away and that went really well. My siblings are not allowed to know.”

Did your parents not allow your siblings to find out?

“They still call me by my birth name, my parents don’t allow them to know but it’ll be weird when I start transitioning.”

Was high school a different experience as your new gender?

“Yeah, it was kind of a constant struggle to get recognized as who I was. Cause like, I pass pretty well but not all the time. I had to go to the nurse’s bathroom at school, the nurses hated me for that.”

How have people at UNT acted towards you?

“Really well, I haven’t had any issues so far. People are generally more accepting here, especially because I came from Waco, Texas.”

Do you encourage others to explore their sexualities and identities?

“Yes, if it’s safe for them to do so, but yeah, I would say so. It’s better to be yourself than to conform to the societal convention thing.”

How far along are you transition-wise?

“I have an appointment for testosterone treatment in a month or so, other than that I’ve been living as a male and I’ve legally changed my name.”

Do you have any regrets?

“Yeah, I wish I could just be normal sometimes but you got to work with what you get.”

Do you have any final comments?

“Just to be true to yourself always, you’ve only got one life and one body so you should do what you want and not for others around you.”

I am a writer for Her Campus UNT and very excited to create fun and interactive articles for many to read! I am a journalism major at UNT and hoping to find a career in writing!
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.