Jackie Lamarre: World Traveler Turned Finance Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Over the last year, I’ve had the honor of being best friends with Jackie Lamarre, a junior at UNT. This week I sat down with her so she could tell me more about her life, passions, and future plans.

Where did you grow up? I was born in America, but I grew up in Dubai because my dad worked for the military. It was a lot of fun, and I acquired a lot of skills I wouldn’t have been able to here in the states. I went to high school in the UAE, I made my first best friends there, and I honestly wouldn’t have had it any other way.

What do people find most surprising about you? I’m half-Korean, but I’m fluent in Arabic because of where I grew up. It always throws people for a loop!

What’s your biggest goal for the future? Well, right now I’m working toward a finance degree so I can have that steady job and income when I’m out of college. Of course I want a family, kids when I’m ready. I’m definitely going to get a dog, though, because dogs are the best.

What did you love most about your time overseas? My family and I traveled everywhere. I love to travel. Before I moved back to America, I would always travel to another country every year. It was crazy, learning about all the different cultures of the world and experiencing once-in-a-lifetime moments. I rode elephants in Thailand, I went to Korea…I wish being a world traveler was a full time, well-paying job!

Why did you choose UNT? After I graduated high school, I knew I would be coming back to the states for my bachelor’s degree. I wanted to be close to my family, and my older brother already attended UNT so it was an easy pick for me. My second choice was to go to A&M, but I feel like UNT has offered me a lot more flexibility than any other college would have, and I love it here. There’s always something going on in the library mall, and I absolutely love karaoke at the Syndicate.

If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be and why? A penguin. No, a panda. Pandas are my favorite, and they get to sleep a lot. I absolutely live for naps, so that seems like the right answer.  

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.