How to Understand Your Birth Chart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Photo by Caleb Woods

Article by Kirsten Sunlin

Astrology can be difficult for some people to understand, especially when it gets as complicated as a birth chart. With these helpful tips, you’ll finally understand why you maybe don’t agree with everything in your horoscope this month.

A birth chart, sometimes referred to as a natal chart, is a chart of the positions of all the planets and constellations at the exact time and place of your birth. This will tell you not only your sun sign (which is what most people think of when they think of astrology/their zodiac sign), but also your moon sign, and many others. Here’s a generator to help you figure out all your signs: https://www.astro.com/cgi/genchart.cgi

Upon first generating your chart, it can overwhelming. There are many things to look for. However, the most important signs are your sun, moon, ascendant/rising, Mercury, Venus, and Mars signs. Each represents a facet of your personality. Each sign is often ruled by different constellations. For example, I am a Pisces sun sign, but a Taurus moon sign. You may be asking, what does that mean, exactly?

Your sun sign is your dominant personality traits, and how your personality most commonly appears. Your moon sign is your inner life and thoughts, and the side of your personality most hidden from others. Your ascendant sign is what people think of you when the first meet you, and what sign you are most often mistaken for, if people ask. Your Mercury sign is how you talk and relate to other people, and how you communicate. Your Venus sign is how you love others, and how you act in romantic relationships. Your Mars sign represents how you deal with anger and ferocity in all its forms.

With this knowledge, you’ll be an astrology super star (see what I did there?)

Comment your sun sign to find a twin!

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order. 
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.