How To Enjoy Yourself During Valentine’s Day While Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

February can be difficult for singles. The constant bombardment of people and stores and the TV saying you should be happy and in love can be very frustrating and disheartening. Here are some ways to remedy that.

Remember to put yourself first. You are complete on your own, not when someone else loves you. While it’s nice to have someone love you, that’s not what you were put on this Earth for. Love yourself. Make your own romantic snacks. Buy yourself heart-shaped cookies, and chocolate-covered strawberries. Buy Valentine’s candy half-off the 15th. Do a face mask and pet a dog and revel in your solidarity. You earned it.

Spend time with your friends. Reminding yourself of all the platonic love already in your life will make you feel cared for even more. Romantic love isn’t the be-all end-all.  Indulge in being sad sometimes. While it’s not good to wallow all the time, sometimes allowing yourself to cry over The Notebook for the eighth time is just what you need.

Believe in yourself and stay on your grind. That’s the best way to prosper when it seems like nothing is going right for you. Leave in the comments other ways to boost yourself up!

Journalism major. I like dogs, poetry, and iced coffee, in that order. 
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.