Her Story: I Got a Nose Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Ever since I was little I always heard that my nose was too big. Sometimes my sister and people from school would tease me. “The girl with the weird nose” is one way a friend’s sibling described me. That was my distinctive quality. Even at home I would hear my family tell me when you get older you can get a nose job.

So naturally I grew up hating my nose and feeling insecure because of it. I avoided pictures taken from the side like it was a plague, because then my nose was more prominent in the picture. I couldn’t wait to get old enough to get my nose job.

On the summer of my junior year in high school I went to Chihuahua, Mexico with my aunt. I finally was going to ditch my “big weird” nose and hopefully the insecurity that went along with it. We arrived at the plastic surgeon’s office and we had a consultation. Dr. Chaves basically told me about how the procedure was supposed to go and how my nose would look small and perfect afterwards.

Throughout the whole process I wasn’t nervous or scared. I was just ready to get it over with. When the day finally came I still wasn’t scared. I got dressed in a hospital gown and sat down in the cold metal table the anesthesiologist injected me with the anesthetic and that’s when I started to freak out. I then started crying, then busted out laughing because I was crying and just knocked out. I don’t remember anything after that, I just woke up very thirsty.

I’ve never had any surgeries before this but apparently i’m allergic to anesthesia. So while I was recovering, I was also throwing up. I couldn’t feel my nose for the first week because of the cast they put on me. The area around my eyes was bruised from where they broke my nose, but I wasn’t in much pain. The only pain I felt was just some pressure on my nose.

The worst part about having the cast was that I couldn’t get it wet, and being in the house we were staying was starting to get boring and I wanted to go out and explore but it was raining the whole week. I finally convinced them to let them out and I explored the chapel and downtown area.

After a week I had to go to my check up to get my cast removed. I finally got to see my new nose. When Dr. Chavez took off my cast it hurt like hell. It was like taking off a bandaid but more intense. My nose was so pretty, and I was ecstatic with the results: it was a bit pointed up and very slim. It was still very tender and slightly bruised but I was happy. I love my new nose.

Coming back home I felt as if everyone was going to know that I had a nose job. In reality though only the people that knew about my surgery are the only ones that noticed.

In the end I still love my nose and sometimes forget that I underwent such surgery. I do feel more confident and am no longer scared to take side pics. I’m really grateful of the support from my friends and family.

Hi im Yanira, I am currently studying Journalism at the Mayborn School at UNT and am expected to graduate May 2019.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.