books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Photo credit: RawPixel  

Have you ever wondered what book you should read next?  Well my list consists of romance and fantasy books that are must reads.  Some of them may have been published when we were in high school, but all of them are well written and unexpected.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is very intriguing.  This is a romantic/magical book that surprisingly has plenty of action in it.  It plays with your imagination because of the world Morgenstern develops: her playground.  The interactions between the main characters, Celia and Marco, is what makes the storyline even more interesting, because they are first enemies but then lovers.  The timeline is not linear but rather scattered, but the chaos works for the plot.

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl is a series that surprised me.  It is a fantastical romance book.  The authors do more than focus on romance between the main characters, Lena and Ethan.  They also focus on love of family.  They take readers on a journey into the underworld of supernatural creatures.  It is funny because when I first read the series, I started with the second book by accident, but it still made sense.  I do recommend that you start with the first book, though.

The Giver by Lois Lowery is one that follows a young boy named Jonas, who is the receiver of memories.  In this book no one remembers anything that makes you emotionally human.  It is about a utopian society that is broken by Jonas after he finds out the truth about his world. Another book that shares a similar plot is 1984 by George Orwell which shows dystopian ideals, and it was actually published in 1949.  It is about “Big Brother”, the government, falsifying documents and basically taking over people’s thoughts and will.  It is a classic and shows how evil people can honestly be.

At Any Price by Brenna Aubrey is similar to the notorious Fifty Shades of Grey novels. It follows a girl who is a gamer and writes blogs.  In one of her blogs, she talks about virginity and about how different cultures look at virginity, so she decides to sell her virginity to the highest bidder.  Her highest bidder turns out to be a CEO of a gaming company that is quite young.  It is a romance book with bits of erotica.

Lastly, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak follows a girl named Liesel Meminger who lives in Germany during World War II.  She is exposed to the Nazi regime, and her foster family hides a Jewish man that could put the family in danger.  She learns to read and steals a book which sends the Nazis in a frenzy looking for her.

I hope this list helped broaden your horizons when it comes to reading!

I am a fun loving, nerdy, chill, cool girl. I love being a comic book nerd and love to talk about anything and everything. If you want to play video games or even board games I am your girl. I love playing multiplayer games as well as Twister!!! I have a very corky fashion style and well I love it!! I am just a girl that knows what she wants and will try to get there.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.