To the Girls Who Hate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

To the Girls Who Hate Valentine’s Day:

I get it. I really do. You’re angry because he ruined it for you, or maybe because there’s never been a “he” to celebrate with you on this day, or it commercializes love, or anything in between. It sucks, and yes, Target definitely capitalizes on our love for holidays. But I’m asking you to open your minds to what’s behind the candy hearts and candle lit dinners: a day of celebration between you and the ones you care for most, whether you’re in a relationship or not. 

My sister, for instance, has been married for a few years. However, she makes a point to send every single lady in her life a Valentine every year to make sure they remember they are cherished. It’s easy to get caught up in this just being a couple’s holiday, what with the pictures on social media and everything. And hey, don’t get me wrong, if you have a significant other who you’re celebrating with, you have every right to share that love with the world. But even if you don’t: what about your friends? Your family? Your mom, your roommate, your pet, your mentor, anyone! They’re all important people in your lives and they all deserve a chance to be acknowledged.

That’s all Valentine’s Day really is. It’s a day to celebrate life and love and joy with the people you care about (and chocolate). Don’t read into the Instagram posts about how you need to have a grand gesture on this day to truly experience it. Bake cupcakes with your girlfriends, spend a night in with your mom, and girl, treat yourself! I’ve never had a date for Valentine’s Day, but I make a point every year to get my nails done, wear pink or red, take a bubble bath, light some candles and everything in between- just for myself. After all, love begins within yourself, doesn’t it?

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter who you spend this day with, as long as you spend it with kindness, warmth, and appreciation for what you have around you. 

Plus, if nothing else, be thankful for Valentine’s Day for one thing: half price candy the day after. ;)

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.