jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Empowering Black Women You Should Be Following

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Despite how vast the Internet is, finding young female creatives who not only uplift, but speak to the complexities of black womanhood can be challenging, but I’ve got you covered. These five women have used their gifts of storytelling to bring a little sunshine, some personality, and whole lot of truth to a TL nearest you:

The Slumflower

“You were created with love and intention. You look the way you look because you are who you need to be.”

22-year-old Chidera Eggerue is an award-winning blogger, speaker, and creative director from Peckham, South-East London who has been featured in several notable­­­ publications including CNN, Vogue, HUFFPOST, BBC, and The Fader.  Her social media platforms are geared towards empowering black women to live their truth, challenge euro-centric beauty standards, and embrace the healing power of self-love. Eggerue has also taken a stand against body-shamers with her #SAGGYBOOBSMATTER movement and has created several epic Twitter threads that have taught women around the world the importance of reclaiming their identities and channeling their heartbreaks into self-regeneration. If you’re ever in need of a virtual bff who serves looks and hosts parties centered around blocking emotionally unavailable men (yes, the #BLOCKHIMPARTY was a thing), look no further than The Slumflower.

Website: www.theslumflower.com

Twitter: ­­theslumflower

IG: theslumflower

Nayyirah Waheed

“You. Not wanting me was the beginning of me wanting myself. Thank you.”

Nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards, Nayyirah Waheed is a self-published poet and author of the critically acclaimed books salt. and Nejma. A self-proclaimed recluse, Waheed has not revealed very much about her identity or life, yet she has been referenced as one of the most famous poets on Instagram with her work being regularly shared across various social media platforms and outlets. She has even been quoted by celebrities. Inspired by poet Sonia Sanchez, and the late Maya Angelou, Waheed’s work is known for being minimalistic yet extremely relatable, covering sensitive topics such as love, identity, race, and feminism.

Website: www.nayyirahwaheed.com

Twitter: nayyirahwaheed

IG: nayyirah.waheed

Alexandra Elle

“You can be soft and still be sturdy. You can be a force and still be delicate.”

Alex Elle is a writer and author of the beloved poetry books Neon Soul, Words from a Wanderer, and Love in My Language. Over the years, Elle has built a community from her transparent writings that have centered on cultivating self-care and building resilience. Social media users have gravitated to her aesthetically pleasing Instagram posts of positive affirmations, as well as her transparency about her journey to self-discovery as a young, single mother navigating through the trials of life.  Elle currently lives in Washington D.C. with her husband and daughter.

Website: www.alexelle.com

Twitter: _alexelle

IG: alex_elle

Tracy G

“Now believing in yourself—as simple and trite as that may seem when heard aloud—is an exercise. It’s something that has to be practiced internally before it really shines externally.”

You may know Tracy Garraud, or Tracy G, as the co-host of Sirius XM’s Sway in the Morning, but off-air, the 32-year-old New York native wears a variety of other hats. She’s a blogger, founder of the wellness brand She’s Beauty and the Beast, creator of the affirmation mixtape, Love, Light, and That Good Sh*t, as well as a self-proclaimed edutainer and wellness junkie with a soothing voice that will make you feel like you’re at home kicking back with your best girlfriend.

Website: shesbeautyandthebeast.com

Twitter: itstracyg

IG: itstracyg

Reyna Biddy

“What doesn’t kill you will help you bloom.”

Reyna Biddy is a 23-year-old spoken-word poet from Los Angeles, CA who reached a new level of success this year when her work went viral after being featured on R&B singer Kehlani’s SweetSexySavage album. “My condolences to anyone who has ever lost me and to anyone who got lost in me,” she renders. “Or to anyone who ever felt they took a loss with me. My apologies for the misunderstanding or the lack thereof. I’m sorry you missed the God in me.” Prior to the feature, her first poetry collection, I Love My Love, inspired by the dysfunctional home she grew up in, was released in 2016. Biddy’s next book, A Psalm For Us, is set to be released February 13, 2018.

Website: reynabiddy.com

Twitter: dearyoufromwe

IG: reynabiddy

Chelsi is a transfer student from Los Angeles, California who studies public relations and international studies at the University of North Texas. She is currently a contributing writer for UNT’s Her Campus chapter and was previously a Her Campus High School Ambassador. Her passions include chocolate, beluga whales, and storytelling, and she aspires to be a best-selling author when she grows up. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @chelsithenovel. 
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.