3 Reasons Graduation is Scary and 3 Reasons It Shouldn’t Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Although  we can all agree that completing any higher education career is one of the best accomplishments in life, it’s not always the easiest chapter to close. 

Just like any other major milestone we cross, there are always reasons why reaching that milestone was ‘scary’ but, once we’re on the other side, there are even more reasons why we had nothing to be afraid of. 

This is that moment, soon-to-be or current grads, and it’s ours for the taking. 

why it can be ‘scary’ 

1. Entering into ‘adulthood’ 

There’s this scary word that is plaguing every upcoming or current grad’s life right now and it kinda rhymes with ‘cult.’ Coincidence? I think not…

All jokes aside, becoming a full-blown ‘adult’ always seems like it’s overwhelming with the bills, responsibilities, and endless possibilities that being grown provides. Although many of us have already taken on these pesky tasks and responsibilities, there’s surely a whole other side to adult-living that we have yet to see (*sigh*) 

2. Being responsible for our success or failure

Not to make things too serious, but flirting with the idea that we are about to rely solely on ourselves is pretty ‘scary.’ There has always been ‘something’ to rely on whether it was class, our professors, other students on campus, or family that was supporting our role as students.

Now, even with the help of family and friends, we are responsible for our well-being, success, failures, and the lives of others when that time comes. I mean wow, right?! 

3. The unknown

I’m sure I don’t need to go in depth about this one. The unknown is downright terrifying and exciting all at once. I can’t wait to see where I am in 5 years but, at the same time, I CAN wait. Makes sense? Probably not. #College. 

why we shouldn’t be afraid

We now have the rest of our lives to carve out a unique story. It’s that simple. 

We shouldn’t be afraid because one chapter closes but, instead, be happy that we get to read through the next 80+ chapters with absolutely no context or foreshadowing. It’s us, our family, friends, future family, and whatever we believe in against the world. 

There’s everything to be afraid of and nothing to actually fear. We now have (and always had) the chance to create the life we want, and believing in our ability to do something incredible with this life is what will guide us through no matter what. 

Cheers to adulting, responsibilities, and the ‘unknown.’ If we can make it through college, we can make it through just about anything. 

*clinks bowls of ramen while standing around a bonfire of old study guides*

Makayla is a lifestyle + college blogger graduating from UNT in May 2018 with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology. She has been blogging for 3 years over on themakaylalynn.com, and is the co-creator of her second website, bloggingbosses.com, a website for beginning bloggers and aspiring content creators.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.