10 Things to do in Dallas Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The holidays are coming! Hot chocolate, cold weather, and Christmas lights are right around the corner and we have some ideas on how to make your holidays even more merry and bright!

1. The Dallas Zoo strings up thousands upon thousands of Christmas lights that turn the zoo into a wonderland! The lights go up on November 17th and are lit until January 2nd, so grab a couple friends and go explore!
  2. The houses in Turtle Creek neighborhoods string up incredible displays of Christmas lights during the holidays.You can walk, drive, or even rent a horse-drawn carriage to view the lights!
  3. If you don’t want to stray far from campus, the George Bush Presidential Library on campus hosts a Christmas festivities! The decorations and displays go up on November 17th and don’t come down until January 8th! You can even take pictures with Santa in the Oval Office on November 25th!
  4. Downtown Dallas always pulls out all the stops for the holiday season! Thursdays through Saturdays from December 1st to December 17th, Main Street is transformed into a winter wonderland with outdoor performances, shopping, and even holiday movie screenings.
  5. If you feel like balling out this holiday season, Six Flags Over Texas knows how to do Christmas right! Not only will you be able to enjoy all your favorite rides, but there are even a few special holiday rides! You will also get to watch outdoor performances, view the spectacular lights around the park, and Santa even makes an appearance.
  6. Vitruvian Lights in Vitruvian Park in Addison always puts up their annual display of Christmas lights, and it’s the perfect photo op for you, your friends, and your loved on! Admission is free; all you have to do is show up, and you can spend as much time as you’d like in the park! The lights will begin November 24th, Thanksgiving Day. 
  7.  Visit a Christmas Tree Farm, such as the one in Dallas, adequately named North Pole Christmas Trees. Picking Christmas trees with your loved ones has got to be one of the most festive, fun activities over the holidays; remember to have some man power and rope with you to tie your findings down!
  8. If you have young siblings or family members, you will love the new Shops at Clearfork in downtown Fort Worth. Starting Thanksgiving weekend, there will be complimentary horse-drawn carriage rides across the shops every weekend, live music, light shows, and more. 
  9. Santa’s Village in Richardson is a winter wonderland, providing a picturesque scene of gingerbread houses, snow, lights, and more. It’s a great place to take a date or your family, and the perfect spot for your holiday card. 
  10. Drive-Through Light Show in Grapevine is the perfect attraction for those of us who prefer to stay in our warm cars with hot chocolate while listening to holiday music. It’s a 5 mile stretch of lights that you can drive through at your own pace and enjoy. Admission is $20 per vehicle, which includes greeting with characters and more!

We hope you enjoyed this list of fun things to do in DFW during this holiday season!

I am a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Business Marketing and double minoring in Communications and Journalism. I am a Texan, born and raised, and a lover of the 3 Ps: puppies, pizza, and Parks and Rec. 
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.