Why I Don’t Drink Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

I’ve never been a coffee drinker, but hearing people talk about how they “can’t survive without it” made me think, hey, maybe I should give it a shot. Then I thought a little more and realized, first of all, it tastes like dirt, second of all, I don’t want to get dependent on it to be a fully functioning human, and lastly, I really do not want to pay any extra money for the nasty stuff.

No disrespect to people who like drinking coffee; I understand the appeal. You can drink a cup of it and feel more awake and alert. Sounds like a great deal, but I can’t get past the taste. And with everything I have to put in it to make it drinkable, like cream, sugar, caramel, etc., it becomes incredibly unhealthy and I may as well drink 5 sodas in the morning to wake up. I could drink it plain, but… nah I can’t.

I’ve heard plenty of people say they literally cannot function throughout the day without having at least one cup of coffee in the morning. I’m not going to lie, I can get super tired during a class, but I drink some cold water and I’m fine. I don’t want to experience so much of the rush that coffee can give you because I’m sure I would get dependent on it and drink it every day, like many people do.

If I got dependent on coffee, I’d probably stop at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks every day and buy one. As I said before, there is no way I would ever drink it black, so I’d be paying around 3 dollars every day for the sugary stuff. That’s nearly 1100 dollars a year. I know many people brew their own coffee at home which saves some money, but that would require me to wake up about ten minutes earlier every morning which is a sacrifice I am almost never willing to make.

Again, I’m not judging people who drink coffee. I’ve given it plenty of consideration. Maybe I’ll change my mind someday, but not today.

Liz is a current student at UNL, majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Education.