Why Extracurriculars Are Essential to Your Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Students sometimes get so caught up in putting their full attention into coursework and classes. While this is important, for some degrees essential, it’s also important to be involved in things you’re interested in for a few reasons.

Resumes without extracurriculars are dull.

When a potential employer reviews your resume with hardly any experience (in any area) or clubs you’re involved in, they get a good idea of how you perform academically, but they don’t get a sense of what you’re interested in. Extracurriculars are important for employers to see because it could be a great talking point during an interview, which makes the interview become a lot less daunting. It’s also good for them to see because it gives them a way to personify a resume instead of thinking of an applicant just as that: an applicant.

It’s a way to take a break from school.

No matter how much someone may claim that they enjoy school, everyone loves at least a little break. Clubs and other ways of involvement are great ways to get away from school for a few hours and give yourself some outside projects outside of coursework. This is a great way cleanse yourself mentally and give yourself a creative outlet. You may even find something you have a passion for that you wouldn’t have otherwise found!

It’s a great way to make connections.

Through involvement, you’re bound to meet new people and friends along the way. You will also meet people who become great connections: the most important part of college. People you meet through organizations you become a part of obviously know other people. People who may be hiring for their company, people who know other people in cities you are looking to move to and so on.

There are many other reasons to become more involved in the community and on campus other than just these few. It’s always a great idea to become a part of something bigger than yourself and see yourself grow from that experience.

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter