This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

UNL will be hosting Relay for Life this coming April at Cook Pavilion. This is a rewarding experience that helps raise the funds necessary to fight cancer.

The relay starts off with the Survivors Lap where survivors who’ve been touched by cancer are invited to circle the track and celebrate the victories we’ve made over cancer. This is also a time where participants take to recognize the caregivers at the event that give their support to family, friends and neighbors who battle cancer.

After dark, the Luminaria Ceremony takes place. This is where individuals light candles in bags filled with sand with names of people who’ve been touched by cancer. Participants take this time to remember loved ones and others lost to the disease. Individuals often take a lap on the track in silence.

Lastly, the Fight Back Ceremony is where participants take a pledge to fight against cancer. These pledges may be to quit smoking, set up a screening, or talk to an elected official about cancer.

To get involved visit their website, like UNL’s Facebook page or email them at unlrelayforlife@gmail.com.

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter