UNL Campus Diary #1: The Women’s Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

This is the first installment of the UNL Campus Diary that I will be writing to show what makes UNL unique amongst other campuses. For my first feature, I chose to attend the Women’s Center Open House and inquire with them for further information. I met with the Director of the Women’s Center, Janice “Jan” Deeds.

The Women’s Center, or WC from here on out, was founded in 1971 as a student organization calling for awareness of sexual assault and violence. This was before Title IX, or the sexual assault program and awareness statute. Those students provided resources for students and the line they provided eventually became the Lincoln organization Voices of Hope, a large partner with the WC.

In 2002, a grant of the Nebraska Justice department helped create opportunities such as a victim advocate counselor who is on campus for 15 hours a week, from 2-6 on Tuesdays. This counselor is also available for appointments for the past twelve years. This was a full circle moment for the WC as the Advocate is from Voices of Hope – which was helped by the WC before it was a recognized University Center.       

What really makes UNL’s WC unique is the integration of all genders. The Men have been involved in the Center since the beginning but the program as of today helps educate and prevent violence against women. One big aspect of the men’s program is the availability of the Men’s Outreach Coordinator by a male and the “Reconstructing Barbie and Ken”. The WC’s program was invited to the American Conference for Creativity where Barbie and Ken were given the ability to have cut hair, piercings, and tattoos for both dolls.  

The Women’s Center also has bi-annual projects. In October there will be the Week Without Violence, right before fall break, which will potentially have an open house, candlelight vigils for victims of domestic violence, and the Clothesline Exhibit. If you have any questions about programs at the  Women’s Center contact Janice Deeds, the Center, the website for the center, or even myself. 

Self-proclaimed feminist killjoy and young politico.