Sugar, Spice, and Everything Pumpkin Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Ladies, Tis the season! Time to pull out those pots and pans, turn on the oven, and bake sweet goodies. But you probably have run out of things to cook right? Is your lover getting bored with the weekly routine menu you have created? (Let’s face it, I would get tired too if I had to come home and open a pot of spaghetti every Thursday). If “yes” was the answer to both questions asked above then today is your lucky day my friend! You are in need of something different to put together and I have discovered five easy meals involving pumpkin that are sure to bring some holiday fun inside of your kitchen. Don’t hesitate to try new things and keep in mind that some ingredients or seasonings can be alternated to your preference. Hope you enjoy the pumpkin yuminess!

1. Pumpkin Soup

Total Time: 50 min, Prep: 20 min, Cook: 30 min> 4 servings> Level: Easy

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter1 onion, diced2 carrots, peeled and diced1 apple, peeled and diced2 cups fresh pumpkin, roasted and diced (see note below)1 tablespoon sage leaves3 cups chicken stock1 cup creamSalt and freshly ground pepper

In a stockpot over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onion, carrot, apple, roasted pumpkin, and sage until all are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Puree the mixture in a food mill; if you do not have a food mill, then puree in a food processor or blender. Return the puree to the stockpot, add the chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add the cream and simmer for 5 more minutes, lowering the heat if necessary so it does not boil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Divide soup among 4 soup bowls and serve immediately.

Cook’s Note: To roast pumpkin, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut whole pumpkin in half and then cut each half into several pieces. Discard seeds or reserve for another use. Place pumpkin on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender but not falling apart, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool, peel away skin, and dice.

2. Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce

Total Time: 20 min, Prep: 10 min, Cook: 10 min> 4 servings> Level: Easy

Ingredients:

Kosher salt2 9 -ounce packages cheese tortellini1 tablespoon unsalted butter1 small shallot, finely chopped1/2 cup canned pure pumpkinPinch of freshly grated nutmeg1 1/4 cups heavy cream1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for toppingFreshly ground pepperChopped fresh parsley, for topping (optional) 

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the cream and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low; simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and cook until thick, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the tortellini to the skillet and toss with the sauce, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed. Divide among bowls and top with more cheese and parsley.

3. Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

Total Time: 23 min, Prep: 15 min, Cook: 8 min> 2 servings> Level: Easy

Ingredients:

Pecan Syrup:1 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup5 tablespoons pecans, toasted and choppedPancakes:1 cup buttermilk pancake mix1 cup cold water1/3 cup canned pumpkin1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/4 teaspoon ground gingerNon-stick vegetable cooking sprayButter, room temperature

Pecan Syrup Preparation:

Combine maple syrup and pecans in small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high until hot, about 25 seconds. Set pecan syrup aside and keep warm.

Pancake Preparation:

In a medium bowl, whisk pancake mix, water, pumpkin, cinnamon, and ginger until just blended (do not over mix; mixture should be lumpy).Spray a heavy griddle with nonstick spray and heat griddle over medium heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter onto griddle to form each pancake. Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles appear, then turn pancakes over and cook for 2 minutes longer. Transfer pancakes to plates. Top with butter and serve with warm pecan syrup.

4. Pumpkin Lasagna

Total Time: 1 hour 25 min, Prep: 20 min, Inactive 15 min, Cook: 50 min> 8 servings> Level: Easy

Ingredients:

1 cup pumpkin puree1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil1 medium onion, chopped4 to 6 cloves garlic, sliced1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed1/2 cup red wine1 28 -ounce can tomato sauce1/4 cup chopped fresh basil1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley1/2 teaspoon dried oreganoKosher salt and freshly ground pepper1 16 -ounce box lasagna noodles1 large egg2 1/2 cups ricotta cheese2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese1 large zucchini, very thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the pumpkin puree in a fine sieve over a bowl; set aside to drain while you make the sauce.

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 more minutes. Add the sausage and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Pour in the wine and cook until reduced by half. Stir in the tomato sauce and herbs and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook as the label directs. Drain and toss with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.

Mix the strained pumpkin puree with the egg in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella and the romano.

Build your lasagna in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish: Start with a layer of sauce, then top with a layer of noodles. Evenly spread half of the pumpkin filling, then half of the zucchini, over the noodles. Top with half of the cheese mixture and cover with some of the sauce. Repeat the layers, finishing with noodles and sauce; sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Let cool 15 minutes before slicing.

5. Pumpkin Muffins

Total Time: 1 hour 45 min, Prep: 25 min, Inactive 1 hour, Cook: 20 min> 12 muffins> Level: Easy

Ingredients:

Cooking spray1 cup all-purpose flour1 cup whole-grain pastry flour1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon ground cloves1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses1/4 cup canola oil2 large eggs1 cup canned pumpkin1 teaspoon vanilla extract3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk1/4 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Let cool completely.

All photos and recipes courtesy, http://www.foodnetwork.com/

"The Year of the Goat" Blessings... Many, many blessings! This year I embark on a new journey. Where this road leads to, of course, you and I both know you cant predict the unpredictable! My passion is my craft. I have always loved writing, telling stories, being a DRAMA QUEEN. I have had the honor of writing with UNL Nebraksa campus but my actual location is Tallahassee, where I am a college student. I enjoy many other things like jazz and being artsy! Although I stand short in stature, I have to warn you I am pretty tall! I love networking, I find it easy to relate to others that have gone through similar life experiences. I mean, thats why we all exist on this Earth right?All in all I hope to inspire, motivate, and heal with my words.Follow instagram:http://instagram.com/phatbellybella/One Love,Latarua Perry