An Open Letter to the ‘Perfect’ Guy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

I like Harry Styles and One Direction as much as the next girl, and after listening to their fifth album for the 200th time, I’ve memorized all of the lyrics by heart.  The album is a mix of fun-upbeat vibes with melancholy goodbyes from the boys. One song in particular, ‘Perfect’, really gets me thinking about love in the 21st century.

‘Perfect’ is a convincing song. It reels you in with its catchy beats and melodies. But, with lyrics like “Cause I can be the one you love from time to time”, “I might never be the one you take home to mother” and “I can be the one tonight” it gives the vibe that in today’s world, commitment is not necessary and a temporary fix is all ya need to get by.

To the ‘perfect’ guy, I’m here to tell you that I beg to differ. All of those mysterious, unclear messages might come off as you being the fun and adventure that I need in my life, but they aren’t. You need to stop making us think that “midnight driving with the windows down” is going to turn into a relationship, when you know it isn’t.  Having “secret little rendezvous” is just a fancy phrase for not wanting anyone to know you are with me.

I think we’ve all fallen in love with you at least once in our life, ‘perfect’ guy. We think we can be the one that you’ll actually love all the time, not just from time to time. We have fun with you. You show us a silliness in ourselves that we all need to be reminded of. It’s okay to be even a little ridiculous when we’re with you. Just like the song, you are convincing and reel us in. You are a beautifully wrapped present that has no actual gift inside. You look amazing on the outside, but when we try to see what’s really inside, you have nothing to share.

I want to thank you though, ‘perfect’ guy. I’ll always look for someone like you, kind of. I like the fun that you bring out in me. I like the ‘living in the moment’ vibe you constantly give. I like all of those things, but you aren’t perfect for me. You never will be.  First off, nobody is perfect.  But if you are the one, you’ll be the one all the time. You’ll still live for that adventure, but you won’t come in and out of my life whenever you wish; you’ll simply be there.