Open Letter to Freshman You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Freshman – (noun) a newcomer, a novice, a first-time student to a college or university

Dear Freshman,

Senior here. I’m sure you’ve been told time and time again that this year is one of the most exciting times of your life. And, while hearing that phrase repeatedly can be very exciting, it can also come with this feel of anxiety because what if it isn’t? If there is one piece of advice that I can let you know at the beginning of the year before everything starts to really take it’s course, it would be: 

1. Don’t Freak Out, and Listen to Your Gut

This year is going to be everything that you imagined it would be if you let it be. There is an abundance of opportunity this year, an abundance of new people to meet, and abundance of new classes to take, and abundance of new things to learn. If you have any inclination to try something different whether it be a club, a class, or even switch your major, follow it. This is the year to explore what you really believe in, to learn to think critically and stand on your own two feet. As cliche as this might sound, if you ever find yourself in a story that isn’t causing you to grow, you really can change the narrative. This year, if anything, is a time to be carefree while you explore who you really want to be.  If there is a perfect time to be confident, it’s now! Looking back on my years as an undergrad so far, I have come up with four things that I wish to share with you about the whole experience:

2. Memories are formed outside the classroom, but careers are formed inside the classroom.

What I mean by this, is that you should be engaged and involved in every aspect of college. You are here to learn and ultimately here to become a professional (and no, I don’t mean just at beer pong).  Go to class, and actively engage in the class. If there is one thing that I wish I would have done more of, is engaging fully in the class that I was in. Sure, when looking back you will not remember all of the lectures, but you will learn so much more by getting off your phone during class. Try taking atleast one class that you think you will fail. I know this is absurd advice, but believe me, college isn’t just a time to just coast. You will be so happy that you challenged yourself! Aside from that, college is a time to make memories. You don’t have to go out and party every weekend, but you don’t have to skip out on parties all together. Be responsible, but know that you really can meet some life-long friends this way.  There are also so many great out of class activities that UNL provides for you, and you can do some awesome things through all of the organizations here. This year, try a little bit of everything. This is the year to find your niche.

3. Travel

Internships; Study Abroad; Away Games; College Tour Trips; Mission Trips; Club Trips. UNL rocks at informing you of opportunities in which you can see the world! Travel far; travel often.

4. Say goodbye to your comfort zone. 

I promise you that this is the best advice I’ve ever taken. When I went to new student enrollment, I sat with my advisor who told me it would be a good idea to minor in Spanish and I thought…….que??? (which translates to What?!?!?!). I had enjoyed my Spanish classes in high school, and somehow scored very high on the pre-Spanish test that was optional to take before enrollment. Adding Spanish as a minor was one of the most uncomfortable thoughts to me, but it was even more uncomfortable to not just go for it. Better an “oh well” than a “what if.” Remember that!

5. Even if you aren’t Greek, go Greek.

Okay, so what I really mean by this is that comparison really is the thief of joy. People are going to be doing different things than you, but those people aren’t you. Every student has their own journey that they need to see through, and it’s going to be different than yours. Just because you are not on someone else’s same path, does not mean that you both aren’t on the right path. No, you don’t have to be in a house to have the best college experience. No, you don’t have to be in a house to create life lasting friendships. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t support someone who is in one. Be supportive of each other! I mean this with every sort of club, organization, or major at UNL.  We need to start cultivating this culture of support for each other Greeks and non-Greeks, athletes and non-athletes, people who stay in and people who go out… etc. Don’t compare yourself to any other student and you will be the happiest. Build others up and you’ll build yourself up in the process!

Lastly remember,

Have fun, work hard and GBR always!