October Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

You’ve probably seen football players sporting some bright pink gloves, or a multitude of people wearing pink ribbons on their clothing throughout the past couple weeks. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month, an annual campaign dedicated to increasing awareness of the disease.

Although most people know about breast cancer, there are many who do not know about detection or even their likelihood of getting sick. About 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime, as it is the second most common cancer in women. The cause of breast cancer is not yet known, but has various genetic, environmental, nutritional, and hormonal influences.

Organizations like the Susan G. Komen foundation and the American Cancer Society (ACS) hope in bring awareness to everyone about the disease. The ACS website suggests 4 ways to get involved: find a Making Strides walk, donate, become a part of a cancer prevention study, or support NFL’s “A Crucial Catch” campaign.

If you can’t donate or participate, the need for activists is constant. Share your story and encourage others to get involved in the fight towards cancer. Wear pink, be loud.