This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Major: Advertising & Public Relations

Relationship status: Dating by BFF

What did you do over winter break?

CHRISTMAS YAY. I love Christmas. I watched Christmas movies, made hot chocolate, wrapped presents, and spread holiday cheer. I also soaked up as much time as I could with my closest friends, family, and boyfriend before I left for Spain to study abroad.

What was the best thing you ate?

I have the food range of a four year old, so for me, some bomb chicken from Twisted Fork in Omaha.

Favorite part about break?

My favorite part about break was just being home and relaxing. I worked 40 hour weeks while I was going to school this semester so doing absolutely nothing felt amazing. My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship during the school year, so break is one of the few times that we can be around each other without having to plan weekend trips. I’m also my mom’s favorite child (I hope my sisters see this) so nothing compares to a good home cooked meal and a movie night with my mama.

So you started studying abroad during break, what was going through your mind when you first got to Spain?

WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING. Before leaving, studying abroad in Barcelona seemed like a semester long vacation and was just something that I was going to do. But after touching down, and realizing that everything actually is in Spanish, reality slaps you in the face. It was mostly that feeling that Cady Heron describes as, “your stomach falling out of your butt”. But in a good way.

How have you been adjusting from American culture to Spanish culture?

To tell you the truth, the first week was a little tough. I’m used to my Nebraska box of comfort. Never having lived in a big city, it’s a huge change getting used to the metro as the main form of transportation and living 15 minutes away from a beach! It’s hard at first to figure out the basics, such as grocery shopping, classes, phones, and currency exchange, especially in a different language. But after becoming more familiar with the city, meeting more people experiencing the same things as you are, and learning a few key phrases in Spanish, life gets easier! I feel like I’m over the initial culture shock and I’m starting to find my own routines and favorite things about being in a different country.

Is it difficult maintaing relationships with your family, boyfriend, and friends while abroad?

Having already gone through my freshmen year of college balancing long distance friendships, a relationship, and family I feel like I am well prepared to handle all of these abroad. But honestly if Viber and Factime didn’t exist I don’t know if I would make it.

What are some things you plan to do while in Spain?

My roommates and I are currently debating ideas of where to go for our weekends off and spring break. Posting Instagram pictures that break my highest amount of likes, and to live like the cheetah girls. But seriously.

Any advice for those pondering the idea studying abroad?

DO IT. There will be times where you’re incredibly homesick, but then there are times where you feel like it was the best decision of your life. Making this big of a change is definitely something that I wouldn’t normally do, but in two weeks I’ve learned more about myself than I have in the last five years. And when else are you going to have an opportunity to live in a foreign country AND be able to put it all on loans? Never.

More about you…

What do you want to do in the future?

In the future, I want to work for an event planning company or do PR/event planning work for an agency or company. Planning and details are my passion. I also want a house that is up to my Pinterest board’s standards. And two kids. And a dog.

Favorite thing to do in your free time?

Listening to country music, trying to find illegal ways to watch The Bachelor from Spain, and sleeping whenever I can, this time change is still kicking my butt.

Do you have any special talents?

I am unusually good at directions, thinking of sassy comments in my head, and always being sick.

Favorite day of the week and why?

Thursdays. You’re so close to the weekend you can taste it, but still have times to get your plans together for the weekend. And I have three day weekends here YAY.

What’s your favorite part about going to school at UNL and being a Husker?

The amount of pride that everyone has in being a Husker and living in Nebraska. And tailgating. And red lipstick on gamedays.

Feel like you just became BFFs with this weeks CC? Keep in touch with her and her journey by follwing her blog http://jstephens6.weebly.com!

Wannabe world traveler. Devoted coffee drinker. Animal lover. Pizza advocate.