How to Make It to The End of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

With T-minus three weeks until the end of the semester and the start of summer, motivation is at an all-time low. It’s a serious issue. These last three weeks could be the determining factor of whether you pass or fail a class if you go out with a bang or slowly fade away into the background. I can honestly tell you that if you stay motivated, these three weeks will go faster than you would’ve expected and summer will be here before you know it! Here are some ways to help cope with the beginning of the end.

Stay on top of your sleep schedule.

It’s so easy to lose your motivation to wake up in the morning. “Just 5 more minutes” easily turns into 20 and then you’re rushing to make it to class or skipping it altogether. Figure out where your “sweet spot” is in the amount of time of sleep that you need and make sure you stay strict with it! I usually find that five to six hours of sleep is perfect for me. I hit my sleep cycle exactly so that when I wake up, I actually feel refreshed instead of feeling like hitting snooze.

Stay caffeinated, but not over-caffeinated.

Let’s face it: It’s nearly impossible to not have caffeine, especially with finals nearing. I know for me, it’s the ultimate determiner of how motivated I will be in the day. Instead of overdoing it on caffeine, space it out throughout the day and be strategic in planning on when you’ll need it. If you plan on staying up late to tweak the minor details on a crazy final project, wait until later in the day when you’ll need it most. Five-Hour Energy is a great alternative if coffee gives you the jitters, or a black tea that has high caffeine is also a great switch.

Take breaks.

You can’t really put out your best work if you’re constantly working on things. As a rule of thumb when I’m studying intensely for a content-heavy exam or writing a paper, I work for 20-minute intervals and take a five-minute break. That five-minute break could be a social media plunge or a walk around the library. Blood flow is good for concentration and staying awake, so I suggest getting up and moving around for your breaks.

Have any other tips? Tweet us @hercampusunl! Stay motivated, Huskers, only a few weeks left! 

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter