Hottest Trends for Spring 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Spring is on its way, so you might as well get a jump-start and begin shopping for that must-have look of the season. One of the bigger trends that will be seen this upcoming season is denim, denim, denim! A great denim piece that will spice up any outfit is a denim vest. They go great with tanks, tees, blouses, skirts, and even dresses.

According to Women’s Wear Daily, the another hot apparel trend for Spring 2013 will be floral prints. This may seem like typical “spring apparel”, but it will be taken to the next level with  mixing and matching different patterns and colors of floral that you may not ordinarily think to put together. It will now be acceptable to mix and match different prints together, ignoring any rules of matching.

Beyond just mixing different floral prints, you can mix any types of prints you want! Even just taking the first two hot spring trends, denim and floral, and pairing them together will make a fabulous spring look and put you at the top of the style list. 

Another spring trend that will be apparent is bright and neon colors. The types of outfits that will be popular are colored pants paired with a different colored top, another different colored pair of flats, topped off with a necklace or bangled bracelets..(each piece of the outfit being a bright, spring color!) This look is a bit more classy and reserved, but will definitely get you noticed. If you are not quite bold enough to try this bright look, go for a simple accessory that is a bright pop of color to any ensemble. Try adding a small neon clutch or crossbody to any outfit. Or another great way to add a pop of color is to go with a neutral base and add bold, bright flats to make you stand out a little. Jewelry is another great way to glamorize a simple outfit. You will see a lot of layering of bright colored bangles this spring, mixing and matching the different metals- rose gold, silver, and yellow gold. Get an “armcandy look” by pairing your watch with several different leather bracelets and bright metal bangles.

One of the more bold and daring trends you will see this spring is midriff tops paired with a high waisted pant or skirt, leaving a line of skin showing just above the waist. This trend is a more youthful look and one you must be very confident in yourself to pull it off, but it is easily attainable by anyone. The most popular version of this trend would be a corset-like tank paired with a flowy, high-waisted skirt and a skinny-strapped shoe. (Wedges are outdated for this spring season, and the skinny heels are back in.)

These are just a few of the many trends that will be seen this spring, but a great guide to get you started on your wardrobe for the season. Even following just a few of these tips will definitely get you noted as top fashion follower of all the hot trends. But if you’re not looking to go all out with your style this spring season, at least indulge in a few items in the hottest color of the season- emerald green. Try a new handbag, a pair of shoes, a few jewelry pieces, a high-waisted skirt, anything! Be willing to experiment with the more daring styles of the season and be prepared to stand out this spring. 

photos: 1/2/3