In Honor of Squirrel Appreciation Day – Advice from the Campus Squirrels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Squirrel Appreciation Day was January 21st. If you missed your chance to tell a campus squirrel how much you appreciate their presence, be sure to tell them. I did some research and some squirrel watching recently and found four pieces of advice from our very own campus squirrels.

1. Be brave.

The squirrels on campus are braver than I am. No doubt. They aren’t afraid to approach humans who must look like giants in order to grab an acorn or a piece of your peanut butter sandwich (which I’ve heard is a squirrel favorite). Being brave and stepping out of your comfort zone every once in a while can open tons of new doors.

2. Have a little fun sometimes.

There are numerous times I’ve witnessed a pack of campus squirrels playing tag with each other or chasing one another between the trees. When you’re heading to class after class, this is a great reminder of how we all need to stop and have a little fun every once in a while. School is stressful – reserve some time for yourself each week to do something you enjoy (bubble bath, anyone?)

3. It’s okay to have a big appetite.

Why eat one acorn when you could eat seven? Seeing a squirrel with a mouthful of nuts just brings my heart joy. These guys are smart. I think the same consideration applies when it comes to donuts–I mean, apples.

4. Be friendly.

There’s no reason not to be friendly – the squirrels would know. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t have tummies as full as they are now and probably wouldn’t have any squirrel friends to hang out with or any multi-cultural connections (campus cats, humans..) Take this advice and branch out from your usual routine and strike up a conversation before class next to the person you sit next to everyday but still don’t know their name.

Be brave, have fun, dont forget to eat, and be a friend: four little pieces of advice from your campus squirrels to remember this semester – and to hopefully make it your best one yet.  Have a good one, UNL!

A twenty-year-old international business student with dreams much bigger than my 5'1 self. Slightly obsessed with Germany, Lana Del Rey, and cookie butter.