This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Sunday February 28th, marks the 88th Annual Academy Awards. The Academy Awards, otherwise known as the Oscars, is an event that recognizes excellence in cinematic achievement. Interest and anticipation are building up, as we ask the question on everyone’s mind….Will Leo finally win this year? With the Oscars coming up fast, here are some fun highlights about Hollywood’s biggest night!

What’s In A Name?

The official name for the Oscar statuette is ‘The Academy Award of Merit’ but the story goes that Academy librarian, Margaret Herrick, after first seeing the Oscar, thought it resembled her uncle Oscar. The first time “and the Oscar goes to” was announced was in 1934, for Audrey Hepburn’s win as Best Actress.

Anatomy of an Oscar

Height: 13.5 inches

Weight: 8.5 pounds

Number of Oscars awarded: 2,947

Design: Made of 24 karat gold, the Oscar is a figure of a knight holding a crusader’s sword.

Oscar by the Records:

Oldest Winner: 82 year old Christopher Plummer for his supporting actor role in Beginners (2010).

Youngest Winner: 10 year old Tatum O’Neil old for her supporting actress role in Paper Moon (1978).

Most Nominations for One Person: 59 for Walt Disney and 18 for Meryl Streep (most nominations for acting roles).

Longest Movie to Win: 234 minutes, Gone With the Wind (1939)

10 Facts you might not have known:

1. The shortest and first Oscar ceremony in 1929 lasted about 15 minutes.

2. Anthony Hopkins won the award for best supporting actor with his role in Silence of the Lambs, only being on screen for a total of 16 minutes.

3. The price for a guest ticket at the first ceremony? only $5!

4. This year’s Oscars have three different nominated movies with the main character being named Joy! (Joy, Room, and Inside Out)

5. With nine nomations, Steven Spieldberg is the most nominated producer of all time.

6. Jennifer Lawrence is the youngest person to ever win four Oscar nominations. 

7. Katherine Hepburn has won four best actress awards.  On Golden Pond, The Lion in Winter, Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner, and Morning Glory)

8. The Godfather: Part II is the only sequel to have ever won Best Picture.

9. Portraying Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator (2004), Kate Blanchett became the first person to win an Oscar for playing a character to who as also won and Acedemy Award. 

10. Titantic, Ben Hurr, and The Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King, all tie for most successful films in Oscar History, each with 11 awards. 

Iconic/Memorable Oscar Red Carpet Looks:

Final Thoughts For Oscar Night: 

• Leo needs to win! This man has been nominated multiple times. This time around he gets in a fight with a bear and sleeps inside of a dead horse. It’s time Academy. 
  • Chris Rock hosting will be a blast. 
  • Cannot wait for all the Red Carpet looks! 

Enjoy the awards on Sunday and may the best nominee win!