Cool Drinks That Will Keep You Cooler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

What’s your go-to coffee drink when the sun starts to peek through the clouds and the temperature rises? If you answered frappuccino, it might be time to up your coffee game. I’ve compiled a list of coffeehouse drinks that are sure to keep you cool when the summertime weather hits.

1.Green-Tea Blender

What is it?: A blended drink that resembles a frappuccino, but without all of the calories and sugar (that is, depending on where you go). It’s usually made with a strong-tasting green tea matcha powder, skim milk and a thickening dehydrated milk powder all blended with ice. You can even order this one over the rocks! Some places will even let you add fruit or syrup flavors at your request. My fav is adding a couple pumps of hazelnut syrup. Yum!  

2. Iced Tea – Lemonade Combo

What is it?: This one is a spinoff of the original Arnold Palmer, but better, because you can customize your tea flavor! Instead of just getting the boring black tea with a splash of lemonade, try a peach or mango tea! My favorite is a raspberry-goji berry tea with an inch of lemonade on the bottom and a pump of raspberry syrup! It’s so refreshing.

3. Flavored Red Bull Over Ice

What is it?: I love this drink because there are a endless amount of possibilities! It’s just a can of redbull over the rocks and you can add any flavor to it! However, it usually pairs better with fruit flavors. I love mine with a splash of lemonade and a pump of raspberry.

4. Italian Soda

What is it?: This one is a classic. It’s just plain club soda with a syrup flavor added. I have a friend who always loves to try crazy combinations! The other day, he ordered a gingerbread and hazelnut flavored one with cream! It was weird, but good!

There are so many more drinks to try other than just these. So next time you approach your go-to coffeeshop, remember to ask your barista if any of these options or possible. Or even better, what she or he recommends!

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter