Concert Review: Hoodie Allen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Steven Markowitz, most commonly known by his stage name Hoodie Allen, is my favorite rapper. Last Saturday November 8, I saw him perform for the second time at the Sokol Auditorium in Omaha, NE. The first time I saw him perform was at the Bourbon Theater in October last year in Lincoln, NE. His tour this year was called the “People Keep Talking Tour.” His openers were Max and Chiddy Bang. Unfortunately Chiddy Bang was not able to perform for the Omaha show. Since Max was the only performer the show was pretty short. My friends and I arrived to the auditorium at 2:30 p.m. The doors opened at 7:00 p.m. so we were outside for a few hours and it was around 40 degrees the whole time. Once the doors opened I went straight to the merchandise table and bought a shirt because the first 100 people received wristbands to meet Hoodie after the show. Due to some circumstances, I was not able to meet him after the show but I still had a great time. Max the opener had a great voice but the audience really wasn’t enjoying him overall. I did experience taller guys pushing me but that is expected at concerts where general admission is only standing room. When Hoodie came on stage, the crowd went wild. He performed 16 songs which was awesome. The songs he performed from his new album People Keep Talking were “Movie,” “Numbers,” “Won’t Mind,” “All About It,” “People Keep Talking,” “Act My Age,” “Show Me What You’re Made Of,” and “Dumb For You.” He played Leap Year medley featuring the songs “You Are Not A Robot” and “Song For An Actress.” Hoodie Allen also performed songs from Crew Cuts and All American including “No Faith In Brooklyn,” “Small Town,” “Two Lips” and “No Interruption.” Not only was the show sold out, but it was also the first show to sell out on the tour. The same thing happened last year with the Lincoln show. I had so much fun and I can’t wait until Hoodie Allen goes on tour again.

I am a sophomore journalism major and Spanish minor.