This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Students here at UNL got a head start on getting into the Christmas spirit this year. This is just one of the many trees I’ve personally see go up in the student’s suites here at the university. This particular tree is one of the biggest I’ve seen. If you’re looking to get into the spirit this season I have some tips to make decorating your dorm easy and affordable. 

Do you have old wrapping paper laying around from last year that you just aren’t feeling this year? Use it to wrap, yes actually wrap, your dorm room door to create the illusion that your door is actually a gigantic present. 

Miniture Christmas trees usually aren’t that expensive, and mini decorations can be easy to make and even easier to buy inexpensive ornaments. 

Popcorn string seems to be a dying Christmas tradition. Go with a vintage feel and bring it back; it could also be a fun craft bonding experience for you and your roomates to do together. If you come together and make a ton, string not just around the tree, but all over the room! 

Christmas lights are a must for any dorm room, even when the promise of Christmas isn’t near. They bring a relaxing vibe to any room and create a candlelight essence without having actual candlelights. Don’t just keep these stringged lightning bugs around the tree, get creative and experiement with new ways of stringing them up! 

Paper snowflakes was an art we all learned to perfect in elementary school; bring it back around and find creative ways to hang them up. They look great taped on windows or even hanging in window sills; not to mention they’re super inexpensive and easy to make. 

No matter what tips you use, pick a theme and if you stick to it, you’re sure to have the most Christmas spirited dorm on campus this year. 

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter