Campus Celebs: Ashley Anderson and Drew Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Singer/songwriters Ashley Anderson and Drew Miller are the musical duo behind the band Ashley and I. Anderson has been singing and dancing from a young age, and is a member of UNL’s show choir, Big Red Singers. Miller has been singing, writing, and playing music for about eight years, and has been a part of multiple bands over the years including his current band Northwest Passage. O yeah, and they also happen to be a super cute couple that writes songs and plays awesome music together.

Anderson recalls getting their musical start early on in their relationship.

“Drew has always written music, and after we had been hanging out for some time, he sat me down and said ‘I wrote this song. You should sing it with me, and we’ll see how it sounds.'” 

Miller also recalls the beginning of their band.

“I wrote more in the six month time period after finishing one song with her (Anderson) than I have previously in any one span of time in my life. Writing songs for us really broadened my abilities to write the happy-go-lucky music that I wanted to; her voice was perfect for it.”

“Yeah, Drew has always told me that it was easier for him to write the music with my voice, treating it like another instrument to account for, and it was a new aspect that he didn’t have to his music before.” Adds Anderson.

The two have been performing their music all around the Lincoln area, bringing their unique indie sound with them and “simple slice of life stories through (our) songs,” as Miller so elegantly puts it. In just under a year, Ashley and I has performed in venues like Antelope Park, Meadowlark Coffee, and Wonderrosa Vineyard. These two talents truly bring something special in their lyrics and showmanship. Miller can often be seen switching from guitar to banjo to mandolin to ukulele, and the chemistry between them is evident during their performance.

Check out Ashley and I on their Facebook page to find out more and hear some of their material!