Campus Celebrity: Ashley Goosic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Ashley Goosic is pretty relatable to any 18 year old who grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska, except for the fact that she is half Japanese. Her mother is from Saitama (a small prefecture right outside of Tokyo) and her father is from Crete, Nebraska. Because her story is a little bit unique compared to the average girl growing up in Nebraska, I found myself intrigued when asking her questions.

Where are you from?

I was born in Saitama, Japan but I’ve lived in Lincoln since I was two years old.

How often do you go back to Japan?

I go back once in every two or three years for about two months. We usually stay with my grandparents on my mother’s side but my uncle lives in Japan as well so sometimes we stay with him.

Do you get a lot of questions regarding your Japanese side?

A lot of people here think that I am an international student. In high school most people just saw me as Asian. It sometimes frustrated me because I’ve lived in America almost as long as anybody else. If they hear that I’m Japanese they just assume all these stereotypical aspects.

How much do you actually know about Japanese culture?

There is more I could know but I’m still interested in it so I pay attention to it. My mom makes us do Japanese things. We used to decorate our house with traditional Japanese dolls to celebrate girls’ day, hinamatsuri. We also eat Japanese food 5 out of the 7 days of the week. Specifically, rice, Japanese style noodles and ramen.

Have you lived in Japan at all?

My high school is sister schools with a school in Japan and I was the first long term exchange person. There was no other exchange student coming into Nebraska from Japan so it was just me. I stayed at four different home stay families in Japan. I wasn’t there to get grades, I would just take Japanese lessons with a teacher. All of this was voluntary. I made a lot of Japanese friends there since there was no one from America that came with me. I also became involved with the Taiko (traditional Japanese style drumming) club. Even with how busy college has been keeping me, I still manage to keep in touch with all of my Japanese friends that I made on my study abroad trip.

Do you wish your were more connected to Japan?

I just wish I could speak it and read it better.

Do you want to study in japan sometime in the future?

I was thinking about it since I already did for a year, I kind of want to move onto the next country and maybe study some place new.

Do you notice a clash in culture between your American and Japanese side?

Some people think I become a different person in Japan. In Japan everyone is so timid, so I feel more restricted socially and worry about not trying to offend everyone. Whereas in the States, I’ve known everyone for a long time so I’m able to joke around with my friends but that was difficult in Japan. American culture is more forgiving compared to Japan.

Did you ever feel different, left out?

It would’ve been cool if there were more Japanese people I knew growing up because it’s a part of me but I’ve never necessarily felt left out.

Lastly, what’s your favorite thing about Japan?

That there’s always something to do, because if you go outside you can go on the train or you can go to the next city over and go shopping there. Or you can go visit a shrine or temple. If you go outside, you’re always surrounded by new people. I’ve always enjoyed watching people in busy streets.