Best Ways to Stay Fit on Campus in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

It is so common to write at the top of your resolution list each year “exercise more.” If you are anything like me, this is seriously a challenge! I struggle motivating myself to just go out and run or other things like that. There are so many opportunities here at UNL, though, to get out there and be active! Below, I am going to share some of the best options this campus has to exercise. I am bound and determined to make goal a reality this year!!

1. The gym – it’s free!

(Photo courtesy UNL Campus Recreation)

All students have access to the Campus Rec Center and the East Campus Rec for no extra cost! There are lots of things to do at both places. You can utilize the indoor tracks. Cook Pavilion in the Campus Rec Center is usually open (sometimes it’s closed for practices) and students often go running on the field or play football or soccer. Both facilities also have various types of cardio machines like ellipticals and treadmills along with a full weight room. There are also spaces where one can do other types of exercising on mats and even an indoor pool!

2. Find a workout buddy

(Photo courtesy UNL Newsroom)

This is one of the greatest ways to stay motivated! By finding a workout buddy, you can both keep each other in check. Whether it’s your roommate or a friend from class, it is great to have somebody to go to the gym with!!

3. Intramurals/Sports Clubs

(Photo courtesy UNL Campus Recreation)

Basically, with these, your options are ENDLESS! UNL has so many intramurals that you are able to join ranging from table tennis and Laser Quest tournaments, to basketball and soccer. Also, different levels exist when you sign up. You can play just for fun or play at a more competitive level. These are a great way to meet new people that share a common interest with you! You can sign up online following the link found on this page: http://crec.unl.edu/intramural-sports

4. Rock Wall Climbing

(Photo courtesy UNL Campus Recreation)

The Outdoor Adventure Center located on City Campus has an excellent climbing wall open to students! Each semester, every student gets one free “Try-It-Climb.” This is a great option to those interested in rock climbing even if you still aren’t sure. Past that, there are various classes that you can take to learn climbing tips and safety. If you plan on continuing to climb in your free time, there is a small fee around $20 to take an assessment just to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. I have a few friends who have used this option in the past, and they have really enjoyed it! Find more information here: http://crec.unl.edu/outdoor/climbing#faq

5. Fitness Class Pass

(Photo courtesy UNL Campus Recreation)

This is the route that I have decided to take this semester and I am beyond excited! First, I’ll mention that this option is one that comes with a price. A student can buy a pass for the entire year (including during summer hours) for $150 or a pass per semester for $55. During the first week of classes and during dead week all classes are free! That gives you an option to try out a few different things to see if you enjoy them. Otherwise, the first class you attend will be free and every class after is $5 without the pass. The classes range in intensity and interest area. For instance, the class on barbell strength probably isn’t going to be something that I personally enjoy, but I have a lot of fun in classes such as cardio dance and cycling! There are also various yoga classes throughout the week if you feel like you need a mid-week breather. Here is the schedule of the classes that they offer per week: http://crec.unl.edu/fitness-programs

6. Outdoor Adventure Trips

(Photo courtesy UNL Campus Recreation)

If you are the adventurous type and are looking for a way to be active outdoors, the Outdoor Adventure Center has your solution! They have various supervised trips both in-state and out that range in duration from a weekend getaway, to a spring break trip. The cost for these trips also ranges from around $10 (mountain biking in Nebraska) for students to $675 (a trip to California to go surfing). To find out more or register online check out this link: http://crec.unl.edu/outdoor/trips

7. Free Skate Nights!

(Photo courtesy Lincoln Journal Star)

If you’re looking for something inexpensive to do on a Friday night and are tired of sitting around in your room, go skating! John Breslow Ice Hockey Center (433 V Street) is hosting multiple free ice-skating nights for UNL students with an N-Card. The only cost is a $3 skate rental fee. I personally went to two of these last semester and had a lot of fun! The facility is really nice, and it is a very easy way to be active on Friday nights. You can find all the dates for free skating on the Rec Center’s calendar: http://events.unl.edu/crec/2017/01/27/113795/

Whatever way you choose, have a great time being active this semester on UNL’s campus!