And the Oscar Goes To…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

It’s that time of year again: the time when we all gawk over gorgeous celebrities and their amazing performances as actors. I don’t know about you, but award season is one of my favorite parts of the year.

Recently, the 2016 Oscar nominees were announced and it’s seriously a fierce competition. Everybody has their favs for who they want to snatch the esteemed award so I’d thought I’d share a couple of my picks.

Let’s start with Best Actor in a Leading Role. The nominees for this category are a talented bunch: Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant), Bryan Cranston (Trumbo), Matt Damon (The Martian), Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs) and Eddie Redmayne (The Danish Girl). Every one of these gentlemen acted their tails off but it’s definitely Leo’s time to shine. I think this is the year where Mr. DiCaprio will finally get his hands on an Oscar and his role deserves it. Seriously, he ate a real buffalo heart and slept in a dead horse in his movie, if that’s not dedication I don’t know what is.

Next, we have the lovely ladies for Best Actress in a Leading Role. The nominees for this category include: Cate Blanchett (Carol), Brie Larson (Room), Jennifer Lawrence (Joy), Charlotte Rampling (45 Years), and Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn). Now I am, just like the rest of America, obsessed with J Law but my bets are on Ms. Larson for this year. Her performance was so moving and her process to get into the character was incredible. The winner of this category is a toss-up but I’m rooting for you Brie!

Last but certainly not least is the biggest award of the night: Best Picture. This year the nominees are “The Big Short”, “Bridge of Spies”, “Brooklyn”, “Mad Max: Fury Road”, “The Martian”, “The Revenant”, “Room” and “Spotlight.” I have it down between two for this one: “Mad Max” and “The Revenant.” Both of these movies were so intense and riveting to watch, so if either of them wins I’ll be a happy camper. “Mad Max: Fury Road” was the highest rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes of 2015, while “The Revenant” was shot in such a grueling and amazing process. No matter what film is selected, both of these movies are the winners in my heart.