Alex Meyer, Pi Beta Phi President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

HC: What year in college are you?

Alex: I am a junior.

HC: What is your major?

Alex: I am majoring in Advertising and Public Relations.

HC: Where is your hometown?

Alex: I grew up in Overland Park, Kansas.

HC: Why did you come to UNL?

Alex: I came to UNL because of the scholarship opportunities and the advertising program in the Journalism College.

HC: What sorority are you affiliated with?

Alex: I am the president of Pi Beta Phi.

HC: Why did you decide to go greek?

Alex: I thought joining the Greek system was a great opportunity to meet people on such a large campus. I was also drawn to the Greek system after learning about how it is so philanthropic based.

HC: How has being greek impacted your college life?

Alex: Joining a sorority has provided me with opportunities to become more involved in campus events, community service, and it has helped me to make lasting friendships with girls in my own house, as well as other houses on campus.

HC: What benefits has it brought along?

Alex: The Greek system has provided me great networking opportunities through my own chapter, the University, and alumni groups.

HC: How has it impacted you?

Alex: I love being apart of a group of successful women that always encourages me to be the best I can be; whether it be pushing me to become more involved in the community, or to be more successful academically, we all strive to do the best we can while still having fun together.

HC: What made you want to elect yourself as chapter president?

Alex: Since I went through recruitment as a sophomore, I knew that I wanted to make the most of the 3 years that I have as an active member. I felt really drawn to serve the chapter through a leadership role and was eager to take on all of the challenges that come with the role of chapter president.

HC: What roles and responsibilities does being chapter president entail?

Alex: For an advertising major such as myself, the role of chapter president is the ultimate project manager. We are essentially managing a small business and have to oversee deadlines and the budget.

HC: What is your favorite aspect of being a part of Pi Beta Phi?

Alex: My favorite part of being in Pi Phi has been living in the house with various pledge classes because it has helped me to get to know a lot of the girls in house! Each girl is unique and brings something different to Pi Phi so it has been fun to get to know various girls and their different personalities.

HC: Has being Greek impacted your career choice and/or path?

Alex: The leadership opportunities I have been provided through Pi Beta Phi has helped introduce me to a variety of working women and it has helped to prepare me for the business world after college.

HC: What do you plan to do after your presidency has finished?

Alex: I plan on helping the future president and exec team transition into their new term, while also focusing on my final semester of college and graduating!

HC: Do you plan to stay active at Pi Beta Phi once an alum?

Alex: Yes! There are a lot of great opportunities for alumni in Pi Beta Phi such as book clubs, cooking clubs, etc. and I plan on staying involved wherever my job after college may take me!

HC: What are three characteristics that you hold that enhances you as chapter president?

Alex: I am hardworking, organized, and reliable.