Active Minds Seeks to Start Conversation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

1 in 4 American adults lives with a disagnosable mental health disorder, meaning that a mental health disorder can happen to anyone. In women, depression is not only the most common mental health problem but research suggests that depression may be more persistent in women than men. Yet mental health disorders are highly stigmatized and is not something that is talked about. A new student organization, Active Minds, sets out to change that on UNL’s campus.

Active Minds is the nation’s only nonprofit organization dedicated to utilizing the student voice to change the conversation about mental health on college campuses. The organization was inspired by when the creator Allison Malmon’s brother took his life after struggling with years of mental health issues without telling anyone. When their brother passed the creator noticed that no one was talking about mental health issues on their campus, thus Active Minds was sparked. With this one tiny idea came about hundreds of chapters across the nation of students who seek to start the conversation and end the stigma of mental health disorders.

President of Active Minds Brock Thompson started UNL’s chapter after his own expereince with someone he knew taking their life after years of struggling. The chapter hopes to bring together students who are or have been affected by mental health disorders and hopes to begin working with different organizations on campus to really get the message out there. Active Minds hopes to fascilitate more acceptance of getting help whether through therapy or medication through UNL’s Counseling and Psychological Services.

Meetings are a safe place for students to share their own experiences with anything from everyday coursework to diagnosed conditions. The group uses their meeting time by educating their members with statistics and guest speakers so that members can get a better understanding of mental health disorders. In the next coming spring Active Minds will be having events that bring awareness and a safe environment to campus. 

If you are interested in hearing more about Active Minds please contact Brock Thompson, CAPS, or myself for more information. 

Self-proclaimed feminist killjoy and young politico.