5 Podcasts You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

We all have that one Spotify playlist that’s our go-to, our ride-or-die on road trips, a compilation of all of our current favorites. Until… It’s just not anymore. It’s a sad realization. The music that once spoke to the depths of our souls a week ago, just doesn’t now. When we try to make it work and go back and listen to it, it’s almost as if the music is mocking us now, reminding us of how much of a rut our lives are stuck in. It’s time to venture out! And, no, I don’t mean compiling a new playlist with artist suggestions from Facebook friends–we all know that never works. It’s time to delve into an all-new world: the world of podcasts.

If you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, it’s essential that you do. There are podcasts about everything and for everyone. There’s nothing that beats road-trip or airport boredom during your travels. Here are a few of my favorites so far, some fashion related, some news related and some random ones. With spring break coming up, keep these in mind when you venture out on your next adventure.

Oh Boy by Man Repeller

This podcast, hosted (usually) by Jay Buim delves into the lives of “cool” women. The series talks work, life and fashion and is truly inspiring for anyone who loves to hear the stories of empowered women and their journeys to an empowered life.                                                                                                                                                                              

UnStyled by Refinery29

Much like the podcast described above, this podcast, hosted by Christene Barberich, features stories of women of “life, work, and love–as told through the things we wear.” In this podcast, Barberich is super relatable and conversational, it’s an easy and uplifting listen. 

Serial

This podcast, hosted by Sarah Koenig, takes a journalistic approach in exploring investigations that have never been truly solved. The first season is centered around a murder that took place in a high school. The second season explores the case of Bowe Bergdahl, the soldier who walked off a military base camp into Afghan. Koenig approaches each story and breaks down all the facts for listeners. It’s a podcast that keeps you guessing! 

Girlboss 

Sophie Amoruso interviews successful girlbosses from all over the world in this podcast series. She features women who have made their marks in creative, cultural and business fields and seeks to extract their advice for all of us to take note on. This is an extremely insightful podcast and will inspire you to kick butt after graduation! 

CollegeFashionista

Amy Levin, young entrepreneur and founder of CollegeFashionista, sits down with influential people in the fashion industry in this series. Newly launched, some episodes even feature the CF team, who are bubbly and are sure to brighten up a dull day. This podcast is an easy listen and good for anyone who’s interested in the fashion industry. 

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter