4 Things That Aren’t Resolutions But Will Make Your Life Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Let’s be honest: New Year’s Resolutions are daunting. It’s almost like you’re setting yourself up for failure, so why even try? It’s definitely good to set tangible and reasonable goals for yourself, but New Year’s Resolutions are always so extreme and huge life changes. These are some small changes you can make to your daily routine that will be easy shifts that will (hopefully) make each day run a little smoother.

Set a reachable workout goal.

The key to executing this one is to know your schedule. Make sure you’re not pushing yourself too hard that you make yourself miserable and dread going to the gym. This should be a time of stress relief and reflection on your day. Whether you go three or five days a week, make sure you stay consistent and the rest will follow.

Eat breakfast.

I know this one is a hard one for some of us to do. However, if you get in the habit of making an easy breakfast to chow on while getting ready for class, you’ll feel more energized and your metabolism will thank you in the long run. Smoothies are a go-to for me because it’s so easy to throw something together in a blender and drink while getting ready. Make sure to add protein and fiber-filled ingredients so that you stay fuller longer.

Meal prep (kind of).

Meal prepping is about as daunting as New Year’s resolutions. Instead of committing to cook food for the week every Sunday commit to just packing a lunch every day. Packing a lunch and some snacks to take with you to class or work every day decreases your chances of paying too much to eat out and also increases your chances of eating healthier! Win, win.

Dress for success.

I know 8 a.m. classes are already so hard to wake up for, let alone actually get dressed for. Take it from a professional, you’ll feel so much better the rest of your day if you just take 15 minutes to put something other than sweats on. It’s also proven that dressing up sets you up to perform better on tests and stay more focused.

Co-president of the UNL Her Campus chapter