10 Things that Makes Chicago One of the Best Cities in the Nation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.
Chicago, Illinois is a definite destination to visit. The environment is its own culture and the people of Chicago are like no other. Nebraska is amazing, too. Nebraska is home. But we shouldn’t limit ourselves to one home. We should embrace what’s out there to explore. Anyhow, here are some fun facts about Chicago. Enjoy!

1. An average of 35 million visitors flock to Chicago each year.
  2. The Chicago Public Library was created directly from the ashes of the great Chicago Fire in 1871.
  3. The zipper was invented in Chicago in 1851. 
  4. Ferris wheel was also invented in Chicago in 1893.
  5. The first all-color TV station made its debut in Chicago in 1956.
  6. Four states are visible from the top of the Willis Tower (Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin).
  7. 40. In 1895, the first automobile race ever seen in the United States was held in Chicago.
  8. The first televised U.S. presidential debate was broadcast from Chicago’s CBS Studios on Sept. 26, 1960, between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon.
  9. The four stars on the Chicago flag represent Fort Dearborn, the Chicago fire, the World’s Columbian Exposition, and the Century of Progress Exposition.
  10. The first animal purchased for the Lincoln Park Zoo was a bear cub, bought for $10 in 1874.