10 Netflix Series You Must Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Everyone loves a good series on Netflix, right? After my own adventures on the famous movie watching site and helpful input from friends, I have compiled a list of 10 series you have to watch. Each one brings its own life to the TV screen and I’m sure you can find one to suit your current emotions. Happy watching:)

1. Gossip Girl: Romance, Drama, Revenge

Gossip girl combines romance and the classic drama of a reality show with a twist. The characters of Gossip Girl are rich, spoiled, hot partiers. Whether you’re in the mood to fall in love or watch some good revenge this show will do the job. Between the two main characters, Serena and Blair, you’ll have enough girl drama to make up for any you missed out on in high school.

2. New Girl: Comedy & Light Romance

Besides the fact that this is one of the newest series to hit Netflix, it’s one of the best. Zoey Deschanel kills it as the only girl living with a group of guys. It’s the perfect comic relief for anyone needing a good laugh. The main character is easy to relate to and has her fair share of romantic adventures to fill your romantic craving.

3. American Horror Story: Horror, Romance, Thriller                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Yes ladies, AHS has it all. They have just started showing their sixth season, but up to season 4 is all Netflix has so far. Every season has a different theme; my personal favorite is season 3: Coven. It’s all about teenage witches and their adventures in romance, revenge and war. This is the perfect series for anyone feeling like they need some excitement with a dash of gore in their life.

4. Gilmore Girls: Romance, Family, Comedy, Drama

The sassy mother daughter combo of Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel give out the perfect mix of comedy and real life troubles. They are the perfect pair for this show and have the wit to prove it. This show is a great show for any mother and daughter, or group of girls just looking for a quality series to start.

5. The Office: Comedy

If you haven’t heard of the Office you are missing out. Between the short clips we see on Twitter to the memes covering Instagram, this show takes comic relief to the next step. Steve Carell is the office manager we all would love to have simply because of his idiotic jokes. Anyone needing a good laugh should look no further than the watch button under this series.

6. Stranger things: Drama, Horror, Mystery

Although I have not watched this series myself I’ve heard nothing but good things. The basis of the story is all about a mother trying to get her son back after he disappears. She finds out terrible secrets as they face terrifying forces. This is certainly a series to look out for in the near future.

7. Orange is The New Black: Drama, Comedy, Romance

Yet again a show I have only dabbled in, and yet it makes the list. Some scenes can get a little intense for some viewers but the storyline is worth the watch. If you’re ever wondering what a female correctional institute is really like you may want to check this show out.

8. Friends: Comedy, Romance

Need I say more? Friends is the classic show that your mom watched when she was your age and is still relevant today. The group of six friends bring life to the show as they go through life together. Between dating, marrying and having kids with one another, this show does not lack romance.

9. Grey’s Anatomy: Drama, Romance

I think we all know this show. Between McDreamy and Grey’s love affair and the number of people that die this show can send your emotions to hell and back in 10 minutes. For anyone looking for a good cry or to root your girl Grey on in her endeavors, this show is for you, your box of tissues, and bowl of ice cream.

10. Vampire Diaries: Drama, Romance, Fantasy

Another show worth watching or at least putting on your “to do” list. Two brothers, vampires I might add, face evil in their hometown along with meeting a new girl that they believe to be the reincarnation of their old lost love. And yes they fight intensely over her. If you’re looking for a little fantasy in your life, this series is what you need to watch.

I am the oldest child of four and from Omaha, NE. I cheered in high school and was a part of the competitive team at my school. I love Nicolas Sparks movies and Lord of the Rings. I obsessed with American Eagle and yogurt covered pretzels:)