Workin’ On My Fitness: UNH Does Group Fitness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you’re anything like me – the gym is a foreign place. The weights and machines are something that makes you tilt your head and think, “what do I do with that?” You’ve probably been through phases where you “loved working out” and really just “needed to go to the gym” but those are far and few in-between. If any of that sounds like you, you might find salvation in group fitness classes because nine times out of ten, someone else in that class is just as much of a stranger to the gym as you are. UNH is lucky enough to have a plethora of group fitness classes, instructed by professionals – both students, and non students – that can really inspire people like me to really start, as Fergie puts it so eloquently in her song Fergalious, workin’ on my fitness.

Some group fitness at UNH Campus Rec are as follows:

·      Cycle

·      Ski BootCamp

·      H.I.L.T.

·      TRX/Ball Strength

·     Kripalu Yoga

·     Body Weight Bootcamp

·     Zumba

·     Gutts & Butts (lower body/core strength)

·     Cardio/Strength Intervals

·     Cycle & Strength

·     Circuit Strength

·     Water Fitness

·     Body Sculpt

·     Strength Training

·     Cardio Blast

·     Pilates

·     Cardio Boxing & Strength

·     W4 (UNH version of P90X)

·     Whole Body Barre (Ballet inspired workout)

·     Beginner Cardio Boxing/or Step & Strength

·     Cycle & Core

·     Guided Relaxation

·      Saturday Special (new every week check the web)

via campusrec.unh.edu

Clearly, whether you’re looking to dance it out, or you’re looking to build some serious muscle – UNH has you covered. I haven’t been totally brave and taken any of the P90X type classes or the Whole Body Barre classes. I have however dabbled in Zumba, Cycling and Kickboxing. Which I can say, are great classes for those of you who may not have ever experienced this kind of work out setting before. There is something there for everyone. It is a great student service offered here at UNH and I encourage all students to take advantage of this.

Group fitness offers a different perspective on working out. It makes it about a group, rather than just individual growth. Which for some, is what you need to meet your personal goals. It’s also, a great bonding experience for your friends, your student organization, your sorority or fraternity – whatever you want. Senior, Allison Labore commented on group fitness classes, “I like it better because it’s motivational. I feel like I work harder when I’m there, and it’s fun. It’s funny that they are students too because you’ll see them around campus. It’s good to do with your roommates, to get to know them. That’s who I did it with freshmen year.” At the end of the day, group fitness turns working out into building others up rather than competing with those around you. It’s a great environment to try and grow in and I suggest it for all. You also can learn what kind of work out routines work for you, without having to dive into the Internet and necessarily teach yourself. Group fitness provides education in fitness for all, and helps you learn about your own fitness. 

Amanda received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from the University of New Hampshire in May of 2016. During her time at the University of New Hampshire, Amanda was a member of UNH's Her Campus team serving as a Contributing Writer, Co-Social Media Manager and Co-Campus Corespondent. In addition, she was also a Chapter Advisor for five HC Chapters. It was through her internships with WGBH&PBS, SheSpeaks, Inc. and the UNH Social Media Department that Amanda realized she wanted to pursue a career in Digital Marketing and Social Media with a focus in the publishing and media industry. In her free time, Amanda likes anything involving food, hanging out by any body of water, and spending time with her amazing friends and family. Follow her on Instagram @barba_amanda
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!