Why I’m Thankful for Second Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Why I’m Thankful for Second Semester

As a freshman, coming to UNH was one of the most exciting times of my life. I had such high expectations of what the “college life” was going to be like and I couldn’t wait for move in day. I couldn’t wait to meet people in my dorm and make friends in my classes who I thought I’d be friends with all four years (I was a bit ambitious about this one). I knew I’d find my place the second I walked on campus, or so I thought.

As the first semester went on I realized I was hanging with more of my friends from home than making new ones. I wasn’t as social as I thought I would have been which had an effect on my experience at school. There were times I thought about if I went to a different school or if UNH was right for me. I stuck it out and lasted the whole first semester but couldn’t wait to get back home for winter break to be around all my friends. 

Going back for second semester had me a bit uneasy because I just felt so comfortable around my friends and family at home and didn’t have that at school. But it was time to move back in and I had to go. To my surprise the first few weeks back had been filled with snow days which trapped me inside a bit. This worked out in my favor though because I started to hang with the girls on my floor who I normally didn’t talk to a lot and we started to become so close! This lead to other friendships throughout my dorm and I was shocked I didn’t know these girls before. Weeks went on and our friend group expanded to more girls and guys and I finally felt that feeling of being around a group of people that I felt comfortable around, just like home. 

Looking back at first semester I wish I had been more open to making friends and being around new people. I always thought I was a sociable person but you learn a lot about yourself when you first move into college. I’m now so happy at school and so thankful for all my new friends that I never want to leave school. Because of these people I met, I couldn’t be happier at college. So thank you second semester for giving me another chance at loving where I go to school. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!