What I’ve Learned from my Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As we’re approaching the end of the school year, I’ve begun to reflect on my first year of college. Freshman year has had some of the best and hardest moments of my life so far. Along the way I have grown as a person and learned how to be undeniably myself. Here are a few of the things I have learned.

• The freshmen 15 is a myth. A long as you exercise a regular amount and have a decent diet, you’re not going to gain fifteen pounds. On top of that, you’ll be sick of dining hall food by the end of your first month, so you won’t be tempted by the extra calories.
  • Staying connected to your family is important. When I first arrived at school, I was so happy to finally be free of the burden I thought my family was. By the middle of your first semester, you’ll start to miss your family’s weirdness. Simple, weekly phone calls will make being apart from your family so much easier.
  • Learn to relax. It might feel like you should always be doing homework so you can do well in school and make the most of your college tuition. However, sometimes you just need to take some time for yourself whether that means putting a face mask on and drinking some green tea or catching up on your favorite Netflix series.
  • Money doesn’t go as far as you might think. In the beginning of the year, you’re likely just coming from your summer job and might feel like you can afford anything. However, all those cups of coffee and going-out clothes add up, not to mention the college loans lurking in the future. Pace your spending, so your money lasts for the entire semester.
  • School isn’t everything. Your tuition is paying for more than just your efforts to get good grades; it’s paying for the many opportunities and activities your school has to offer. College is about making friends and connections, joining clubs that match your interests, and learning to live on your own for the first time.
  • College boys are stupid. Don’t go looking for the love of your life during your first year of college. Boys just entering college are very immature, and many don’t want to be tied down with a girlfriend. Focus on finding yourself, live it up with your girls, and let the right boy come to you.
  • Your college friends will become your second family. You’re going to be going through a lot of new and challenging experiences this year. When your mom and dad aren’t around for the first time in eighteen years, you’re going to need new people to turn to. I was lucky enough to meet my best friends in the first week of college, and I couldn’t have made it through my first year of college without them.

College might not always be the easiest, but the good times make it worth it. UNH has become my second home, and I can’t wait for next year.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!