Valentines Day: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

William Shakespeare once said, “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” Yet, on a holiday focused solely on love and affection, it is ironic that the main feeling is a disappointment. As females, we place so much pressure on our significant others during Valentines Day. We expect our boyfriends to transform into Casanovas overnight. We have seen too many romantic movies over time that have manipulated us into believing that every man shows his affection through grand romantic gestures. This Valentine’s day, we need to remember that our boyfriends are not Richard Gere on the fire escape or Heath Ledger serenading us on the school bleachers. Rather, our guy is unscripted, unpredictable and unimaginable perfect for us. So ladies, please ditch the ridiculously high expectations this year or risk feeling the letdown of the examples below.

Expectation: “Oh, it’s Valentines Day, I had no clue?” It’s just another average day for you, relaxing at home without a care in the world.

Reality: You wake up in a panic, dying to know what your significant other has planned for the special day.

Expectation: Bae comes to your apartment and showers you with flowers and chocolates.

Reality: He arrives empty handed…”I didn’t think we were doing gifts this year.”

Expectation: He plans a romantic date at the hottest restaurant in town. (Bonus points: Chef Bae cooks you dinner)

Reality: He never made reservations and all the best restaurants are booked. You spend two hours driving around before you end up at a one-star diner.

Expectation: Dinner is full of good conversation, laughter,  and your man keeps telling you how beautiful you look.

Reality: You are upset about how the day is going and dinner is an hour of awkward, angry silence. 

Expectation: He transforms his bedroom into a romantic space filled with candles and rose petals. 

Reality: His room is a disgusting mess that has a pungent smell of dirty socks and leftover pizza. 

Expectation: After listening to bae compliment you all night, you are feeling confident and sexy. You throw on your new Victoria Secret lingerie leaving him speechless. 

Reality: You are bloated AF from dinner and way too insecure to be seen half naked, so you throw on a pair of sweats and call it a night.

Expectation: 50 shades, hot, steamy, love-making sex. 

Reality: Exhausted from your terrible evening, you both fall asleep on separate sides of the bed. 

Expectation: The night ends in each other’s arms, snuggled up in bed.

Reality: You cry yourself to sleep because it was yet another Valentine’s Day full of disappointment.

In the end, it’s better to go into Valentines Day with no expectations at all.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!