Tips for Improving Your Time Management and Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the end of the semester and the start of finals just around the corner, it is necessary to not only use your time wisely, but also maximize productivity in order to end the year confidently and successfully. Besides, who wants to spend endless hours inside working with these beautiful spring days we have been having lately? Looking ahead at the calendar can be stressful, but it does not have to be. Even though it seems as though all of our professor’s have planned projects, papers, and exams at the same time, as long as you stay organized and consistent, keeping everything under control can be accomplished with ease. Follow these few simple steps to improve your time management and productivity skills; you will definitely be left with time for leisurely relaxation, hanging out with friends, and this beautiful New England weather as the semester begins to come to a close, and the anticipation for summer starts to set in!

Make Lists: First and foremost, write things down! Checklists and To-do Lists allow you to organize and prioritize which tasks need to be accomplished and when they need to be accomplished by. With the ability to continually add, and, or delete tasks, you will never forget anything. It is also helpful to split tasks into categories based on your specific commitments and responsibilities, as well as number from most to least important. This method is not only effective, but it is a great way to see your progress visually, motivating in itself!

Set Deadlines: …and stick to them! With specific deadlines in mind, it is simple to then plan out and distribute when you will have time to complete work. This method is helpful as it keeps you on track, eliminating possibilities for stress and last minute completion. Setting deadlines ensures you can use your time wisely and effectively in relation to everything else that has to be accomplished as well. At the same time, it is important to be realistic. Give yourself enough time to complete assignments, make sure they are perfect, and hand them in on time. Do not forget to factor in time for meeting with professors and group members too!

Stick to a Routine: Too tired during the day to get everything you planned on accomplishing finished? Having an erratic schedule can hinder how you use your time effectively. Plan your week out into a schedule that works for you and be consistent! To maximize productivity, go to bed at a reasonable hour, wake up early, and do not forget to factor in time for meals, exercise, showers, homework, and some free time as well. Sticking to a routine has health benefits too; consistency is key!

Limit Distractions: Do you constantly feel like you never get anything done because you are distracted? Distractions are one of the largest killers of productivity and effective time management for college students. Know yourself, what gets you distracted, and choose to work in places that do not have any of these distractions. Whether that is in the quiet room in the library, the lounges in your dorm, or empty classrooms in academic buildings, finding the right place to work can make or break how much you are able to accomplish. Even with schedules, goals, and plans, effective use of time truly depends on limiting distractions and remaining focused!

Take Breaks: For long lasting productivity and effective time management, take breaks! Working for 8 hours straight is not necessarily the most effective way to work, as getting burnt out will only hinder your success and the quality of your work in the end. Breaks can also act as the incentive to get your work done, improving concentration and drive. Take a walk, watch a movie, go to the gym, paint your nails, eat a snack, or hang out with friends. It does not matter what you do, as long as you make the time to clear your mind and start again, focused and motivated!

Set Goals: When it feels like your workload is endless, it is easy to lose sight of why you are spending countless hours working and studying. This can hinder productivity and effective time management in a negative way, which allows you to procrastinate and delay getting things done. Set goals! Goals are the perfect way to remind yourself what you are working towards, and what the result will be once all of your work is completed. Write down these goals in a place where they can be accessed easily for quick reminders, including small written notes in your planner, or taken down in your phone. Remember that hard work pays off in the long run!

Focus on One Thing at a Time: Lastly, to get the most out of your time, focus on one thing at a time, and finish it! Switching back and forth between assignments only elongates the time it takes to accomplish assignments, and feel accomplished overall. Focusing on one thing at a time also allows you to place all of your motivation and attention into one assignment, ensuring it is completed to the most efficient extent, with the greatest effort. While it may feel like multi-tasking is the key to time management and productivity, focusing in on one thing at a time will produce better results in terms of time and outcome! 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!