Struggles of Being A Business Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
Being a business major is exciting and horrifying at the same exact time but we are the hardest working students on campus. You can pick us out in any crowd, we are the people drinking Starbucks checking our emails and calendars every minute in case we forgot we had another group meeting. 
  • Never Finding A Seat In Paul

No matter what time you’re in Paul, there’s never any open seats on the couches to do some last minute studying. And like where am I supposed to drink my Starbucks?

• There Are Barely Any Girls In Your Class

This isn’t a problem when you’re bored in class and need something to stare at but it’s not so great when you’re forced to work with the guy next to you and he expects you to do everything, just because you’re the girl. 

• Group Projects

Having a class full of guys does not come in handy when it comes to group projects. You end up doing all of the work, only for them to take credit for it in the end. Plus, nobody is on the same time schedule so planning meetings is nearly impossible but thank God for Google Docs. 

• Dressing Business Formal

Do I look great in my blazer and nude heels? Yes. Was it easy to make a professional outfit look cute? No. And let’s face it, none of us have money to buy the business casual clothes that we see on Pinterest. 

• Trying To Understand Professor’s Accents

It’s hard to understand what’s going on in economics normally, nevermind having a professor that has the heaviest Italian accent you have ever heard. 

• Stressing About Internships

Breaks stress you out because you feel like you should be going to an internship when really you can’t seem to leave your bed. Everyone is always ahead of the game when it comes to applying for internships so you might as well not even bother. And what is the deal with unpaid internships? No thanks. 

• People Assume It’s Easy

I don’t understand why anybody would think taking 5+ business related courses would be easy. You can barely even talk until you get a cup of coffee in your system because you didn’t get more than an hour of sleep since you were too busy perfecting all the presentations you have coming up. 

• Resumes

You have spent hours and hours on our resumes because every single person that has looked it over, has a different view than everyone else that has read it so far. It seems like your resume is never good enough for anybody and you’re so sick of printing out hundreds of copies, only to remain unemployed. 

• Stereotypes

Every single person that isn’t a business major thinks we are all snobby, arrogant people who are just in it for the money. Well, of course money is a huge part of it but no matter how much we complain, we love what we do and we can’t wait to be successful one day. 

• Being Obsessed With LinkedIn

LinkedIn suddenly becomes your favorite form of social media once you become a business major. Instead of taking selfies for Instagram, you’re too busy updating your headshot. 

I am a senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and a minor in communications. I'm so excited to be HC UNH's CC this year! Check out my blog: https://www.cupoftblog.com/ HCXO <3
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!