Single In SoHo: Living Easy In The City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Seniors. It’s almost here. Graduation. After four grueling years, the time has come to part ways with UNH. No more Theta Thursdays, ABC parties, or spending inappropriate amounts of time in Dimond Library during finals week. So, after we take off the cap and gown and hang up the diploma, where do we go? Most of us are chomping at the bit to get out of the house and start an independent life, and we don’t always know where to start. Sex and The City has brainwashed up into believing being on the verge of bankrupt is in, but we all know it’s not. One of the biggest challenges of being on your own is finding an apartment. How do we avoid the rental scams and get the best home at the lowest price? How do we adjust to life without dollar drinks and late night DHOP? Take these tips to heart and ease into the real world like a pro. Or Carrie Bradshaw.

Landlords: Finding a good apartment is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make as a college grad. But leafing through countless apps and websites, it can be hard to separate real landlords from people just looking to scam. When in contact with a landlord, be aware of these tactics:

–       They ask that you transfer money electronically: Under no circumstances should you wire transfer a security deposit. You should always meet face to face with a landlord before any money is exchanged.

–       They are nowhere near the apartment: If you are already in contact with a landlord and they cannot meet because they are out of the country or far away they are more than likely illegitimate. 

Apartments: Like landlords, apartments are just as hard to come across. Apps like Craigslist may seem like an easy solution, but since anyone can post just about anything, it’s a big risk. Instead of leaping blindly into the sketchy world that is Craigslist, try MyGradPad.com, or NextStepRealty.com. Successful and legitimate websites, you can be sure that their results are the best of the best, and it’s incredibly easy. You simply put in the city where you want to live (these websites only cater to the major ones), your anticipated move-in date, and your budget. The search is now in their hands, and saves you the time and stress of weeding out scammers.

Know Your City: After spending four years at UNH, being dropped into a major city all alone can be terrifying. Instead of perfecting your Gables bus or Cottages route, you now have to coordinate your life with subways and cabs. Downloading apps like NextStop for New York City, Transit Stop for Chicago or Boston Subway for Beantown. These apps allow you to view maps of all trains, their arrival time, and all the stops along the way. It’s the perfect companion for navigating your way around an unfamiliar place.

Living on your own or with a roommate can be extremely stressful. There are many components that go into moving to the city and it can be overwhelming to start from scratch. By using these tips, you’ll be conquering the city of your choice once you part ways with lovely little Durham. Hopefully they will help make the transition from college grad to grown-up just a little easier, so channel your inner Bradshaw and get ready to take on the world! Or, at least find out where the nearest bar is.